Stern died as a result of a brain hemorrhage he suffered approximately three weeks ago.
Taking over as the USA professional basketball league's fourth commissioner in 1984, Stern transformed the NBA from a domestic league that fought for a foothold in the U.S. sports industry dominated by Major League Baseball and the National Football League into a $US5 billion ($7.13 billion) a year industry. You were a friend, mentor and administrator of the largest donut fund ever.
From expanding the league to 30 teams, to opening the door for worldwide players and making this a global game, Stern truly left his mark on the league. And during his tenure, the league exploded in popularity. After all, James argued that Stern and Dr. James Naismith "are two of the most important people for the game of basketball". By the time he stepped down as commissioner in 2014, the NBA was a $5 billion-a-year global juggernaut and basketball one of the world's most popular sports.
The NBA started allowing corporate sponsor logos on uniforms in 2017 under commissioner Adam Silver's watch. Stern is going to be incredibly missed by us all. He could see the hard-driving personality Stern was notorious to have, but Taylor said he often witnessed the "other side" of Stern, one he will always remember.
David Stern was a true leader, and I love seeing Jordan nearly immediately send out a statement on the matter. Stern, a 1963 graduate of The State University of New Jersey, was inducted into the school's Hall of Distinguished Alumni in 1999 and served on its Board of Overseers.
"On behalf of the Kings organization, we extend our deepest condolences to his wife Dianne, sons Andrew and Eric, and the entire Stern family as we keep them in our hearts and prayers at this most hard time".
Oklahoma City guard Chris Paul, president of the National Basketball Players Association: "The game lost a leader today". The lockout ended after the players union and the NBA agreed to a 51-49 split among players and owners in basketball related income, a one-time amnesty provision that allowed teams to waive a player without outcome and shorter player contracts.
- Texas Church Shooting: Assailant wore wig, fake beard, says security guard
- India Approves Third Lunar Mission Chandrayaan-3, ISRO Chief Reveals
- Browns to interview McCarthy after passing on him last offseason
- World rings in the new year amid wildfires, protests
- Sony files patent for new PlayStation controller with extra buttons
- Chinese 'Gene-Editing' Scientist Gets 3 Years In Prison
- Tobacco age requirement increased to 21
- As impeachment trial nears, Biden seeks to clarify stance on congressional subpoena
- Eagles Playoff Picture: Standings & Postseason Scenarios for Week 17
- Ranking the first- and second-year head coaches