There was a solid mix of close games, but a couple of blowouts that were not competitive from the beginning. Texas coach Tom Herman fired his defensive coordinator and demoted his offensive coordinator after the regular season.
Florida State had a more talented team than Houston did in 2015 - it didn't matter as the Cougars pulled off the win in the New Year's Six Peach Bowl win. Including former member Texas A&M, who beat Oklahoma State in the Texas Bowl.
The Longhorns finished Big 12 Conference play with a record of 5-4, and they were never really a threat to contend for the conference title. Ingram increased the lead to 17-0 with an 11-yard touchdown catch from Ehlinger about five minutes into the second half.
The Longhorns average over 34 points per game but have also allowed over 28 points per game.
Utah: Quarterback Tyler Huntley will want to shrug off his subpar game against OR in which he threw two interceptions. Ehlinger has thrown for over 3,400 yards and also 29 passing touchdowns.
Both teams have several players who expect to be in the National Football League draft combine, but only Utah junior cornerback Jaylon Johnson skipped the game. The defense has let this team down all season long. Texas will have struggles moving it against a stout Utah defense looking to come back strong after a poor performance in the Pac-12 Championship loss against Oregon. "We took it more as a vacation than preparing for a game and it came back to bite us".
Not only that, but the Utes must now find replacements at quarterback and running back with both Huntley and Moss graduating after putting the Utes on the map. Utah scored a touchdown early in the fourth quarter on a 4-yard pass from Huntley to Demari Simpkins. One thing I do know, if the key Utah seniors Zack Moss and Tyler Huntley are both suiting up in what is essentially a meaningless game for their draft stock, then I know the Utes will be taking things very seriously. Whittingham had talked about what a boost getting a 12th win would be, particularly against a name program like Texas.
Utah had College Football Playoff aspirations until losing to OR in the Pac-12 Championship Game, so there was always a risk of them not being motivated enough in their bowl game.
- Texas Church Shooting: Assailant wore wig, fake beard, says security guard
- Eagles Playoff Picture: Standings & Postseason Scenarios for Week 17
- How to succeed at your New Year's resolutions this year
- World rings in the new year amid wildfires, protests
- Israel's Netanyahu seeks immunity in graft cases
- Australian bushfires: Military deployed to help devastated communities as death toll rises
- Scores of animals killed in fire at German zoo
- Angry Pope Francis slaps away hand of woman yanking his arm
- Sony files patent for new PlayStation controller with extra buttons
- ‘The Rise of Skywalker’ Editor Admits the Film is "Fan Service"