"There is no room to justify such an action".
Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary, Yoshihide Suga, on Tuesday, described Ghosn's escape to Beirut as "regrettable" and said Tokyo had asked Lebanon for help. Chairman Carlos Ghosn to post at least several billion yen for bail given his vast financial resources, but the court set a substantially lower figure as a condition for his release in March a year ago, sources familiar with the matter said Wednesday.
"The consequences of Ghosn's misconduct have been significant".
Japanese prosecutors placed Ghosn under house arrest and 24/7 surveillance after he was released on bail in March 2019.
Authorities in Turkey detained seven people last week as part of an investigation into how he was able to flee through Turkey, the prosecutor's office confirmed to ABC News.
Government compliance attorney Seth Berenzweig discusses former Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn's flight from Japanese justice.
The X-ray scanners at the airport's sleepy private jet terminal were too small to screen oversize luggage, likely allowing Ghosn to evade detection in the equipment container, which had breathing holes drilled in the bottom, the Wall Street Journal reported. The former executive said those payments were never decided on.
Mr Ghosn had been charged with under-reporting his future compensation and breach of trust in diverting Nissan money for his personal gain. They refused to let him communicate with his wife, or access the internet freely.
He has repeatedly said that he is innocent.
A spokeswoman for the ex-Nissan boss told Reuters: "Last time Carlos Ghosn announced a press conference and got re-arrested". He has promised to speak with reporters next week.
Japan's justice minister vowed Monday to strengthen border checks and review bail conditions. The country's justice system has come under fire from human rights advocates for its long detentions, the reliance on confessions and prolonged trials. Security cameras at his home operated 24 hours a day, but the footage was only required to be submitted to the court monthly, according to lawyers' documents detailing Ghosn's bail conditions.
The justice ministry said it did not have records of Ghosn departing Japan.
Ghosn was arrested in November 2018 and has since faced a litany of charges, including allegations that he understated his income for years and funneled millions of dollars of Nissan money to a auto dealership that he controlled.
- Ancelotti tells Man City why they are behind Liverpool
- Twitter reacts to Tom Brady, Patriots getting eliminated from playoffs
- Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa tweets NFL decision is coming Jan
- Qassem Soleimani killing: Prominent red ring on finger helped identify Iranian general
- Mixed signals from Pentagon on future of US troops in Iraq
- Kevin De Bruyne: Arteta can go to Arsenal
- Jose blames 'beach ball', VAR absence for draw
- Donald Trump reiterates threat to target Iranian cultural sites
- University rampage sparks new protests across India
- Trump Responds to Tehran’s Threats: ‘We Have Targeted 52 Iranian Sites’