When Bong Joon-ho makes a new movie, the world takes notice. And now, if the director and Vice/Succession's Adam McKay have their way, it'll become a miniseries on HBO. McKay has a history with HBO as the producer of "Succession".
As Vanity Fair noted, like the Mexican directors that have fared so well at the Oscars in recent years, Bong has also worked on English-language movies, directing "Snowpiercer" and "Okja". As THR reports, HBO won out over Netflix in bidding for the rights.
The film has a significant focus on the realities of capitalism and class inequality and benefits from a twisting structure that exposes the chilling layers as it develops.
Choi is known to be a young filmmaker in her mid 20s without linguistic expertise or professional experience in interpretation, but she translates Bong's remarks and nuanced intentions clearly and even pithily with some punch lines.
Parasite is the Park Family - the image of the ambitious, wealth, and Family, Kim, rich in street smarts but not much else. Ideas can be drilled inside. Creative details are in the early stages, but Bong and McKay would adapt the movie for an English-language limited series.
Parasite is a story of two families that revolves around class discrimination, greed, and power hunger. As Bong himself said at the Golden Globes: "Once you overcome the one-inch tall barrier of subtitles, you will be introduced to so many more awesome films". McKay has also worked on Eastbound & Down and amusing or Die Presents.
According to sources, the project has interested half the planet streaming, but it seems that Bong has chose to establish the project on HBO and team up with the executive producer of "Succession", which is working exclusively with both HBO and HBO Max. McKay is not one to avoid controversial or burning issues.
- San Francisco 49ers sack Minnesota Vikings, advance to NFC Championship
- Edmonton Oilers start slow but rally to win in Montreal
- Two babies' deaths linked to flu, Douglas County Health Department confirms
- Watch AMD's CES 2020 keynote in 10 minutes
- Three dead in Louisiana as severe storms sweep southern US
- Dean Smith wants to end long trophy wait for Aston Villa
- Australia and Russian Federation storm into ATP Cup semi-finals
- Pelosi to send impeachment articles to Senate this week
- Blaze kills firefighter in Australia
- Sultan of Oman Qaboos bin Said has died