A delegation is understood to have met with the club's record appearance holder in Doha last week, although Barcelona were reluctant to reveal the true nature of the discussions.
"The relationship with the coach (Valverde) is very good".
Xavi played out the twilight years of his career at Al Sadd before his retirement in July.
FC Barcelona have already announced one departure in the January transfer window, but one of Europe's biggest clubs have confirmed their interest in one of their stars. The former Camp Nou icon since then has been serving as the head coach of the Qatari outfit. "Out of respect for Barcelona and Al-Sadd, my focus is on the next match against Al-Duhail", he said.
Valverde has continued to win trophies with Barca, winning La Liga twice and the Copa del Rey, and they now top the table but the former Atletico Bilbao manager has also had many failures.
Xavi won eight LaLiga titles, four Champions Leagues and a host of other trophies with Barca, while his 133 Spain caps included three successive major global titles at the 2008 and 2012 European Championships and the 2010 World Cup. Al-Ali, however, denied the possibility of Xavi returning to Barcelona anytime soon.
Valverde, meanwhile, appeared to be close to losing his job at the end of last season, following Barca's capitulation in the Champions League semifinals and a defeat to Valencia in the Copa del Rey final.
Barcelona appears set to part ways with its coach and start searching for a new boss.
While still in charge, Valverde has seen Barca directors meet with Al Sadd coach Xavi about replacing him this week. Xavi, however stressed that he respected his current club and the current coach of his former side.
"Sport" inform that the meeting between both parties took place to analyse the sporting situation at Barcelona, that was affected after the Super Cup elimination against Atlético Madrid.
- Instant analysis: Seahawks season ends in Divisional Round vs. Packers
- Jillian Michaels defends criticizing Lizzo's weight, says people should prioritize their health
- 'Fail Not:' What To Watch Ahead Of Trump's Senate Trial
- Apple pushes recycling with robot, but mined metals still needed
- Neil Peart, the drummer and lyricist of Rush, has died at 67
- The PS5 still has big surprises to come, teases Sony
- Prince William Wants Kate Middleton To Be Called ‘Princess’ Like Mom Diana
- Three dead in Louisiana as severe storms sweep southern US
- Defense Secretary: Iran's Soleimani Was 'Probably' Planning Embassy Attacks
- Turkish Airlines, Pegasus Airlines to Resume Flights to Iran, Iraq Later Today