Whether you do it this way, or buy it, or replace your PC with a Windows 10 machine (which is nearly all new Windows computers now), you should take action today.
Although many may have already taken Microsoft's advice, the most recent stats suggest around 26 percent of all desktop and laptop PCs are still using Windows 7 which means millions are putting themselves at serious risk of attack.
Microsoft will stop providing free security updates for the system on Tuesday, meaning computers using it will be more vulnerable to malware and hacking.
All editions of Windows 7 have reached end of life.
This is especially relevant today since Microsoft's support of Windows 7 officially ends tomorrow, January 14th.
The report also found that Windows 10 systems were less likely to be exploited.
Users who choose to remain on Windows 7 could be exposed to hackers and malicious attackers once security updates cease. "Microsoft strongly recommends that you move to Windows 10 sometime before January 2020 to avoid a situation where you need service or support that is no longer available".
While Windows 10 has proven to be a successful release for Microsoft, there are still a sizable number of Windows users who haven't yet upgraded to Windows 10.
It is possible to install Windows 10 on old PCs but Microsoft warns that it may not run smoothly.
Step one involves going to the Windows 10 download page over here.
The warning was issued by the National Cyber Security Centre, which is part of Britain's intelligence agency GCHQ, and first reported by The Telegraph, .
Therefore, it's important that you upgrade to a modern operating system such as Windows 10, which can provide the latest security updates to help keep you and your data safer. Surface devices are faster and lightweight, and more powerful and more secure, with an average price that's considerably less than that of the average PC eight years ago.
The only way for them to stay protected is by purchasing Extended Security Updates, which will extend security updates until 2023. Upgrading isn't troublesome, and won't cost a penny.
"The user is not always able to upgrade without voiding the warranty", said Mr Ferguson.
- Trudeau met with relatives of the victims in the plane crash
- Defense Secretary: Iran's Soleimani Was 'Probably' Planning Embassy Attacks
- Pelosi to send impeachment articles to Senate this week
- Bong Joon Ho, Adam McKay Developing Parasite HBO Limited Series
- Instant analysis: Seahawks season ends in Divisional Round vs. Packers
- San Francisco 49ers sack Minnesota Vikings, advance to NFC Championship
- Students share their opinions on Titans Playoff Run
- Oscars To Go Host-less Again This Year
- Barcelona make official approach for Xavi to replace Valverde as head coach
- Prince William Wants Kate Middleton To Be Called ‘Princess’ Like Mom Diana