His six saves and a clean sheet earned him Man of the Match honors according to WhoScored, but many will argue that Fede was the best player on the pitch for Los Blancos.
The Belgium worldwide, who after years of flirtation finally signed for Real from Chelsea for a joint-club record €100m in June, raised eyebrows when he reported for pre-season training packing some extra weight.
"On Saturday we have Sevilla who are a very hard opponent". "I'm happy to win the trophy, but I'm left feeling bad about that".
Thibaut Courtois, who had a rough debut season in Real Madrid a year ago has raised his level to be one of the key players in Real Madrid's rise back to the glory. He has made a decision to rest for a year and now he has returned with new energy. "Zidane is a blessing from heaven".
He said: "Within three days, we played two of the best teams in the world and did very well".
The dramatic finale was at odds with what was a largely turgid encounter at the King Abdullah Sports City Stadium in Jeddah.
Given the hefty fee that would likely have been demanded for Pogba's services, Valverde's emergence means that Real Madrid can turn their considerable financial resources elsewhere, potentially pursuing a move for Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe.
"I think the award for the best player makes ideal sense because Valverde won the game with that action", Simeone said in a post match press conference. We were up against a good team.
"We have to travel, rest and then we play again".
Atletico's Saul, who hit the post, and Thomas, whose shot was stopped by Thibaut Courtois, missed while Trippier scored the club's lone point in the shootout.
Zidane has won each of his finals as Madrid coach, taking his tally of successes to nine with a tense victory against Atletico Madrid in the Supercopa de Espana on Sunday.
Meanwhile, Ramos said afterwards that superstition had dictated he take the fourth penalty, which just so happened to be the decisive one.
- US tried to eliminate another Iranian leader, but failed
- Deshaun Watson: 'No Doubt' Bill O'Brien Is Right Coach
- Instant analysis: Seahawks season ends in Divisional Round vs. Packers
- Barcelona fires manager Ernesto Valverde, hires Quique Setien
- Trump accuses Apple of refusing to 'unlock phones used by killers'
- Barcelona make official approach for Xavi to replace Valverde as head coach
- End is nigh for Windows 7
- Verizon picks up the rough and tumble Samsung Galaxy XCover Pro
- Trudeau met with relatives of the victims in the plane crash
- Panthers LB Luke Kuechly retiring after 8 seasons