Williams will play Slovenia's Tamara Zidansek or South Korean wildcard Han Na-lae in the second round as she continues her quest to match Margaret Court's record career tally of 24 Grand Slam singles titles.
"I think, so to say, monkey off my back, kind of".
"I believe I can beat anyone, but I think that's nearly every player's mentality".
Caroline Wozniacki, who won her only Grand Slam title two years ago in Melbourne and will retire after this year's tournament, also did a good job in her first round match 6-1 to 6-3 against Kristie Ahn.
But Coco is determined to plot her own path to greatness and all respect was put aside as she broke Venus in the opening game and marched to a 5-3 lead in the first set.
The 35-minute second set was more straightforward for Gauff, who fired 10 winners to book her spot in the next round against Sorana Cirstea.
Coco Gauff comes from a sporting background with her father, Corey, playing basketball at Georgia State. "I understand that I don't have to play ideal in the first round". "I feel so happy".
Osaka takes on Marie Bouzkova of the Czech Republic in the day's opening game at the Rod Laver Arena on Monday, while Williams faces Russia's Anastasia Potapova as she begins her quest for an eighth Australian Open crown.
"I had a lot of success in doubles", she added. Gauff also jumped to a 3-1 lead in the second set, before putting Williams away.
Air quality was rated "good" as the first round started on Monday but about four hours later play was suspended on outside courts when the heavens opened in Melbourne. "I hope for her". I don't know that there is one particular moment, but there is once in a while where you're like, "Wow, this really is my last one".
And she got off to the flawless start as she defeat Williams 7-6, 6-3 this morning.
Other seeded players advancing on the women's side included No. 13 Petra Martic and No. 14 Sofia Kenin.
An eighth title at Melbourne Park would bring Williams level with Australian Margaret Court as the most prolific Grand Slam singles victor in the history of the game - a feat she said had been on her mind.
- New Barcelona coach wants to bring back excitement
- Takeaways as 49ers Defeat Packers en route to Super Bowl LIV
- Wuhan confirms 17 new 2019-nCoV cases
- Trump praises trade deals at American Farm Bureau Federation convention
- Ashley Young lists three unforgettable things about Manchester United
- Hospitals told to prepare for cases of fatal virus from China
- Rome airport screens for deadly Wuhan virus
- Democrats and Trump offer grieving arguments over political trial
- IPhone can now secure your Google Account
- Chidambaram takes dig at Goyal after his snub to Jeff Bezos