Coronavirus death in Philippines marks first outside China

Wednesday, 05 Feb, 2020

Since emerging out of the central Chinese city of Wuhan late past year, the coronavirus has infected almost 14,500 people across China and reached 24 countries.

China is the company's third biggest market in terms of sales behind the United States and Europe and it is also where most iPhones and other devices are made.

Philippine health officials on January 30 confirmed the first case of the new coronavirus in the country.

Azar's announcement followed the World Health Organization declaration Thursday that the coronavirus outbreak is a Public Health Emergency of International Concern.

One person shared footage online writing: "Two videos show all floors of a residential building in Jiangsu-China were blocked by welding fence because a confirmed case found in it". Those returning from Hubei province will be subject to a 14-day quarantine.

The death rate in China is falling, but the number of confirmed cases will keep growing because thousands of specimens from suspected cases have yet to be tested, Dr Galea said.

The WHO said it was especially concerned that some cases overseas involved human-to-human transmission. She remains in isolation in a hospital in Manila.

A special flight brought 312 Bangladeshis back from Wuhan, including eight who were hospitalized with high temperatures.

The Trump administration's national security adviser, Robert O'Brien, said on CBS' "Face the Nation" that the Chinese so far "have been more transparent certainly than in past crises and we appreciate that and we continue to offer assistance to the Chinese".

The South China Morning Post reports with reference to a statement by the Ministry of Agriculture of China.

This is now the first death reported from the virus outside of China.

The U.S. declared a public health emergency Friday due to the virus, and officials earlier advised against all travel to China.

Earlier on Saturday, 315 patients became seriously ill and 85 people were discharged from hospital after recovery, the Commission said.

- Singapore -Singapore Saturday announced two new infections, bringing the city-state's total to 18.

The three latest cases were reported on Sunday.

More than 40,000 workers at a vast Chinese-controlled industrial park in Indonesia - which also employs 5,000 staff from China - were put under quarantine, the facility said on Friday.

- Sri Lanka -Sri Lanka has confirmed one infection - a 43-year-old Chinese tourist from Hubei province. A further 1,921 cases were detected in Hubei, taking the total in the province to 9,074. State media said the latest case is a 25-year-old hotel receptionist in central Khanh Hoa province.

"We do not now recommend the use of facemasks for the general American public", said Messonnier.

- United States -The United States has confirmed eight cases: three in California, two in IL, one in Arizona, one in MA and one in Washington state.

The US confirmed its eighth case - a student at the Boston campus of the University of MA - while the Pentagon has said it will provide housing for people arriving from overseas who might need to be quarantined.

- France -There are six known cases in France, the first European country to be affected.

There have been 12 confirmed cases in Australia - four in NSW, four in Victoria, two in Queensland and two in South Australia.

In Germany, five employees of a German auto parts supplier became ill after a Chinese colleague visited, including two who had no direct contact with the woman.