Mr Potok, who describes himself as an artist, told Global News he flies to Jamaica several times a year and he had made a similar type of on-board announcement previously but he was extremely apologetic about the latest incident.
James Potok's attempt at gaining social media fame has resulted in criminal charges after WestJet Flight 2702 from Toronto, Canada, to Montego Bay, Jamaica, was forced to abort its flight after being in the sky for two hours on Monday.
Law enforcement and EMS personnel were requested to meet the flight upon arrival in Toronto.
WestJet said in a statement to CBC that the crew onboard followed the appropriate procedures for infectious disease, including isolating the man. "The publicity was what I was really looking for". Potok also mentioned that he pulled out his phone and announced to passengers that Lil Wayne's album had just dropped and said "nobody had a problem with that".
He told Newstalk 1010 that he regrets the fact that the plane was rerouted back to Toronto and said he feels bad for the people who were inconvenienced. I perform analysis of Companies and publicize valuable information for shareholder community.
Potok was wearing a pink hoodie and a protective face mask while he was escorted out of the plane. "I looked around, I said", Can I please get everyone's attention "and ..."
The man, from Thornhill, will appear in court on March 9.
The passenger was 28-year-old James Potok, an aspiring musician from Ontario, who says he chose to falsely claim he had the illness in order to create a viral video to post on his social media channels. "I simply stated that I had visited Hunan province".
"I thought it would spark a reaction".
As passengers became scared following Potok's announcement, the pilot made a decision to turn the plane around and return to Toronto. "I had my camera with me".
"In retrospect, it probably wasn't the best thing to do", he said.
Canada confirmed its fifth coronavirus case on Tuesday.
- Canadians quarantined on cruise ship in Japan
- Smart money points to Trump charge
- Avalanche kills 21 in eastern Turkey, dozens trapped
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- Whistleblower China doctor 'dies from coronavirus'
- World Health Organization requests $675 million for coronavirus battle
- Madonna encourages Harry and Meghan to ditch 'boring' Canada
- Plane from Wuhan to arrive at MCAS Miramar
- Manufacturing activity becomes fastest due to new orders and output
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War