Latham last skippered the ODI team against Bangladesh in Dunedin a year ago and said he would not be changing too much this time around. The hosts would like to prevent India from winning yet another series in their backyard following T20I whitewash, while India would want to win the match and start series on a high. "We're trying to stay calm and play good cricket in the field", Akbar added. Southee hadn't learnt his lesson from the recently-concluded series that India won 5-0. and bowled length deliveries, and persisted with those, only to be dispatched beyond the boundary ropes by the fourth-wicket pair in his second spell. "I think [restraint] comes with maturity and responsibility". Rahul, however, is back with a bang over the last few series and bagged the man of the series award in the T20Is against New Zealand. "You literally have no pressure", Iyer said about the team which is mentored by NCA director Rahul Dravid.
Former captain Jeremy Coney has roasted the decision to give Black Caps coach Gary Stead a week off while the team is in crisis but the move has been defended by New Zealand Cricket management. "It was nice to keep our composure at the end and get across the line", Latham said at the post-match presentation.
"I was disappointed to get out after a good start".
Southee was the best performer with two wickets, but he conceded 8.5 runs an over taking them.
Acting-captain Tom Latham made a fine 69. AFP
His record in ODI run chases is also top-drawer - as ESPN Cricinfo pointed out, Taylor had now scored a century in five successful run chases batting at No. 4 or lower, with England and India being the opponents in those games. And, on Wednesday when Team India was gearing up to lock horns with Kiwis at Seddn Park, the two young lads received their ODI caps from none other than their skipper.
"Having someone like that at number four, and with Kane [Williamson] not being there as well". And veteran India off-spinner Harbhajan Singh didn't leave a chance to take a dig at Taylor's cheeky celebration. "Hopefully it doesn't get down to those stages in this one day series but if it does hopefully we can draw on those experiences that we've had in the T20 series and go from there".
"It's small margins, it could have been a different result but that's cricket, it's why we love the game".
- Skipper de Kock inspires South Africa to win against England
- After Iowa Mess, Bloomberg Is Doubling Down
- Coronavirus: Philippines reports first death outside China, second case reported in Kerala
- Trump remains a threat to American democracy, says US House Speaker
- Anthony Watson ruled out of England return against Scotland
- Second person dies of mysterious Wuhan virus in China
- Beatrice, oldest daughter of Prince Andrew, to marry in May
- WestJet flight from Toronto to Jamaica turns back after false coronavirus claim
- Madonna encourages Harry and Meghan to ditch 'boring' Canada
- United Kingdom citizens told to return from China