The first-round pick from Minnesota is top-three protected in 2021.
Golden State is already headed toward a high lottery pick in the 2020 National Basketball Association draft, which isn't considered strong.
Interestingly, the Knicks have also shown a significant amount of interest in D'Angelo Russell and discussed the potential packages. He made an attempt to acquire the point guard in a sign-and-trade with Brooklyn but lost out to Golden State.
Kerr said D'Angelo Russell did not "positionally fit with Steph and Klay who are coming back next year".
In the days leading up to Thursday's trade deadline, the Timberwolves continued to pursue pairing Russell with franchise centerpiece Karl-Anthony Towns. This includes the New York Knicks, who are now attempting to add Warriors guard D'Angelo Russell to the roster. The 23-year-old is averaging a career-high 23.6 points per game to go along with 6.2 assists. And although Wiggins has been something of a forgotten talent in Minnesota, he's averaging 22.4 points and 5.2 rebounds per game this season. The Timberwolves now have Russell and Towns together under their financial control through 2023. Minnesota's Andrew Wiggins would have to be included in nearly any Russell trade package.
Wiggins, who was the first overall pick in the 2014 draft by the Minnesota Timberwolves in 2014, spent his entire four-and-a-half year career with Minnesota. Butler got the Wolves to the playoffs in his one full season in Minnesota but then quickly decided he wanted out.
The Warriors, meanwhile, will hope Wiggins benefits from their culture.
"To be perfectly blunt, the fit was questionable when we signed him", Kerr said. The Warriors seemingly acquired Russell with the intent of trading him, salvaging value from Durant's exit.
Kerr said the task will be teaching Wiggins how the Warriors want to play, but he added: "I do think we're confident here that we've got an environment that is conducive to players getting the most out of their ability".
- Leaked recording shows Iran knew it shot down Ukrainian plane
- Canadians quarantined on cruise ship in Japan
- Panthers looking to bounce back on the road against Maple Leafs
- World Health Organization requests $675 million for coronavirus battle
- Thailand doctors invent a new medicine for treating the novel Coronavirus
- Z Reflects On His Last Conversation With Kobe Bryant
- United Kingdom citizens told to return from China
- Manufacturing activity becomes fastest due to new orders and output
- Skipper de Kock inspires South Africa to win against England
- European Union watchdog clashes with Britain over financial market rules