According to Page Six, "Little Women" director Greta Gerwig, "The Farewell's" Lulu Wang and Melina Matsoukas, who directed "Queen and Slim", were among the names etched in gold on her cape.
The actress and Harvey Weinstein accuser, 46, called out Portman in a lengthy Facebook post on Tuesday, accusing her of not taking the actions to support women in the industry. "The kind of protest that gets rave reviews from the mainstream media for its bravery. I just want her and other actresses to walk the walk", McGowan wrote.
The actor, who has always been openly critical about the underrepresentation of women in such awards, went a step ahead to voice this. "In my long career, I've only gotten the chance to work with female directors a few times - I've made shorts, commercials, music videos and features with Marya Cohen, Mira Nair, Rebecca Zlotowski, Anna Rose Holmer, Sofia Coppola, Shirin Neshat and myself", she said.
Fans are loving the shady moment, celebrating Portman's decision to take a stand against the Academy and raise awareness for women in filmmaking.
In the 90-year history, only one woman has won the award for Best Director.
There may not have been a female director name on the list of Academy Award best director nominees this year, but Natalie Portman made sure you saw them at the awards show.
Natalie Portman wore a black and gold Dior outfit. The ensemble looked ordinary, but upon closer look, you can see that the actress had names written across the cape's lapel.
McGowan's critique went on to suggest that Portman's activism is "fake" and hypocritical, as the Oscar victor has worked with only two female directors over her decades long career - one being herself.
Despite their critically acclaimed films, none of those women were nominated for Best Director this year.
At the 2019 Golden Globes, the Lucy in the Sky star presented the best director award alongside Ron Howard and said, "And here are the all-male nominees".
- Flights axed and floods feared as Storm Ciara clobbers Europe
- Ireland: Sinn Fein wins popular vote, set for historic gains
- Donald Trump says prosecutors' recommended prison term for Roger Stone 'very unfair'
- Federer, Nadal raise more than $3 million with Match in Africa
- 'Covid-19' is official name for coronavirus
- Knicks could follow Warriors, Lakers examples by hiring an agent as president
- Gamers may fall in love with Samsung Galaxy Buds+ earbuds
- Eminem steals the show with iconic Lose Yourself performance at the Oscars
- Microsoft launches new dev tools for building Windows 10X dual-screen experiences
- Anthony Watson ruled out of England return against Scotland