Health officials announce new presumptive case of novel coronavirus in Quebec

Saturday, 07 Mar, 2020

"These individuals remained asymptomatic for COVID-19 throughout the 14-day quarantine period and, as a result, they pose no risk to others and can safely return to their communities and to their usual activities", chief public health officer Dr. Theresa Tam wrote in a statement Friday.

Health officials say that 13 of the 21 cases of COVID-19 in the province are linked to people who recently travelled to Iran.

"All precautions have been taken to ensure the safety of other patients and health-care workers, while providing her with the care she needs".

Meanwhile, the outbreak in Washington state continues to worsen, with almost 70 presumptive or confirmed cases and 11 deaths, most of which have been linked to one seniors' care home in King County.

"Within British Columbia the risk still remains very low in the province and in Canada the risk remains very low".

"A small number of close contacts have been identified and contacted by public health officials".

University Canada West, located on West Pender, said it is working with the Vancouver Coastal Health Authority to verify a report of a student with a presumptive case of novel coronavirus.

"We need to find out the source of her infection", said Henry.

"We'll look at things like community events, where she went - is she at work?"

In turn, Global Affairs Canada is now advising citizens to avoid non-essential travel to Iran, northern Italy, and to exercise a high degree of caution if travelling to Japan. "It's quite detailed and takes a bit of time, which is why we don't yet have the answers, given that she just came up positive late last night".

Henry says B.C. now has eight confirmed cases of novel coronavirus, with four cases recovered and the others in isolation at home.

"This is a virus that knows no borders and that is growing", she said at a news conference.

Dr. Bonnie Henry says four of the new cases are people with close household contacts of previously announced cases. His case was announced on Tuesday.

Ontario now has 20 cases of the novel coronavirus, with two new people added to the tally today.

The woman is in isolation at Vancouver General Hospital's intensive care unit and had underlying medical conditions before developing the disease.

The COVID-19 committee is meant to complement the work being done by the government's incident response group, Trudeau said. She is expected to make a full recovery.

The province said it's still in Phase 1 of the virus response, and that Phase 2 will be implemented gradually as more cases emerge. "We have been preparing for this since the virus first emerged".

By Thursday afternoon, 98,078 around the world have been confirmed, at some point, as having coronavirus (COVID-19).

The virus has caused more than 3,300 deaths worldwide and infected almost 100,000 people, according to the World Health Organization.