China on Sunday reported its lowest number of new coronavirus infections since January, with almost all the 44 new cases in the outbreak epicentre Wuhan. China also recorded 24 cases in people who had arrived from overseas, including 17 in Gansu, a northwest Chinese province.
The world health body has revised the transmission classification of Iceland, Palestine and Cameroon from "imported cases only" to "local transmission", bringing the total number of countries and regions where local transmission emerged to 45 in addition to China.
The National Health Commission said the next step is to gradually implement a plan to close all temporary hospitals by around March 10.
Meanwhile, in another measure to limit contagion during religious gatherings, Saudi Arabia emptied Islam's holiest site in Mecca to sterilise it.
"Cities in Hubei are catching up with different areas in the nation in controlling the virus spread, also Wuhan is" coming from this darkest minute" that he was quoted as saying by state media.
China on Sunday reported 27 new fatalities and 44 confirmed cases of coronavirus or COVID-19, the lowest since January.
Mainland China had 99 new confirmed cases on Friday, according to official data.
The cruise ship stranded off the coast of San Francisco tested 21 people positive for the new coronavirus.
Also on Saturday, 1,661 people were discharged from hospital after recovery, while the number of severe cases decreased by 225 to 5,264.
All the new deaths occurred in Hubei province, the epicentre of the outbreak. The news was reported by Shanghai-based news portal The Paper, the South China Morning Post said.
The total number of confirmed cases in mainland China so far is 80,651.
However, Italy seems to be struggling to contain the spread of the deadly virus.
This picture taken and released by the Vietnam News Agency on March 7, 2020 shows military personnel spraying liquid disinfectants on a street in Hanoi, amid concerns of the spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus.
- State confirms first presumptive positive case of COVID-19 in Colorado
- Google Assistant Now Reads Articles Out Loud In 42 Languages
- Hong Kong Warns Against Kissing Pets After Dog Tests Positive For Coronavirus
- Man City display against Man Utd was 'unacceptable' - Bernardo Silva
- Tito's Warns Don't Use Its Vodka To Make Hand Sanitizer
- Australia records second COVID-19 death as case numbers climb
- Blast targets U.S. embassy in Tunis; attacker dead
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Hawaii investigating contacts of cruise ship virus patients
- Defoe strengthens Euros case