The Champions League last 16 second leg tie between Liverpool and Atletico Madrid was open to the public and Anfield was packed out from the first minute to the last.
Four minutes into extra time Firmino, poor all game by his standards, enjoyed a huge stroke of luck as his header from a cross by Wijnaldum, who by contrast got better as time went on, hit a post but rebounded straight back for him to side-foot inside the opposite upright.
"We know in the last two years we had some lucky moments in the Champions League, you have to, to reach two finals, but today it was everything was against us in the decisive moments".
"We all defended until the death and when a team all digs in like this, things like this happen. I really think he has improved no end in recent seasons".
Asked to clarify what he meant, Klopp said simply: 'The way they play, I don't get it'. "They could play proper football but they stand deep and have counter-attacks", he added.
"We accept it of course but it doesn't feel right tonight", he said.
The performance against Atletico was similar to numerous games which have put Klopp's team so far out of reach at the top of the table.
I loved the first 90 minutes.
The visitors defensive resilience was once again evident as Atletico survived wave after wave of red attack, however, the tie was largely decided on the performance of the two goalkeepers, Jan Oblak proving a formidable obstacle as Adrian struggled in the home goal. "Now we have more time to prepare the Premier League games".
The Spaniard then seemed slow to react to Alonso's long-range effort, which left Jurgen Klopp's side needing two goals in the final 15 minutes.
While Adrian - filling in for injured Brazil worldwide Alisson Becker - proved to be the fall guy for Liverpool, Jan Oblak again showed why he is regarded as one of the world's top 'keepers by producing a series of great saves and blocks to take the game to extra time.
- Billie Eilish Strips Down | The JV Show
- United Kingdom health minister diagnosed for coronavirus
- All the Details on Hannah Ann Sluss' Engagement Ring From Peter Weber
- Dow Jones sets record drop after trading was briefly halted on Monday
- Suspends in-person classes in response to coronavirus
- Trading halted as USA stocks plummet
- Congressman who wore gas mask on House floor now self-quarantined
- World Health Organization declares coronavirus a pandemic
- Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders Cancel Cleveland Rallies Over Coronavirus Concerns
- Coronavirus: 26 Oklahomans on Grand Princess cruise ship