NBA Suspends 2019-20 Season After Jazz Player Tests Positive For Coronavirus

Friday, 13 Mar, 2020

Rudy Gobert has tested positive for coronavirus, Shams Charania of The Athletic reports.

The NBA has suspended the rest of its season after a player on the Utah Jazz preliminarily tested positive for the coronavirus.

The news came one day after Rudy Gobert reportedly became the first player in the league to test positive for the virus, prompting the cancellation of Wednesday's Jazz game in Oklahoma City moments before tip-off.

Prior to the Jazz's game against the Thunder, the team listed two of their players as out for tonight's game - Emmanual Mudiay and Gobert.

During an interview of the Dallas Mavericks and Denver Nuggets game on ESPN Wednesday night, Mavs' owner Mark Cuban said the news of the events in Oklahoma City was "stunning".

The Jazz said they are working closely with federal and Oklahoma and Utah state officials "to monitor their health and determine the best path moving forward".

Sports leagues around the country are grappling with what to do.

More than 1,200 people have tested positive for coronavirus in the U.S. and 38 people have died from the respiratory disease. Though he never entered the arena, players from both teams were immediately quarantined.

The postponement announcement came about 35 minutes after the scheduled tipoff, with the public-address announcer saying the decision was made "due to unforeseen circumstances".

Donovan Mitchell has since also tested positive for coronavirus, but he was the only other Jazz player or staff member who was infected - at least as of Thursday afternoon.

National Basketball Association fans are now convinced Gobert is reason officials were forced to postpone Utah's latest match.

"The individual is now in the care of health officials in Oklahoma City", the Jazz said, adding that updates would come as appropriate.

Officials then announced that the game would be postponed to a later date without specifying a reason, and that everyone needs to leave the arena.

Shortly after, both teams and the officials left the floor completely.