The collective bargaining agreement now means that the regular season will now feature a 17th game and that expanded playoffs will be coming down the line.
With a new collective bargaining agreement in place, the league has now set the salary cap for the 2020 season. This is a major reason why the CBA passed vote - approximately 60 percent of players receive a minimum salary and don't have long-term job security.
Members of the NFLPA executive committee, including San Francisco 49ers cornerback Richard Sherman, met for hours with NFL owners in Indianapolis on February 25, and later approved a measure to pass the proposal on to the almost 2,000 union players across the league by 17-to-14 vote with one abstainer. "We appreciate the tireless efforts of the members of the Management Council Executive Committee and the NFLPA leadership, both of whom devoted almost a year to detailed, good faith negotiations to reach this comprehensive, transformative agreement", Goodell wrote.
The new league year is scheduled to begin at 4:00 p.m. EST on Wednesday, March 18, but it is unknown at this time how the coronavirus epidemic will affect that schedule. Though the roster limit will continue to be 53 for 2020, two players from the practice squad may be brought up to increase roster sizes to 55 on gameday, with those two players reverting back to the practice squad after gameday.
The new CBA also is expected to increase the salary cap for the 2020 season, initially estimated to come in around $200 million.
The biggest takeaway is this: 17-game regular seasons from now on. The NFL has consistently raised the salary cap over the past several seasons by an increase of anywhere from $10 - 12 million annually.
Teams have until 10:59:59 a.m. CDT Monday to use their tags.
The new National Football League year starts on Wednesday, when teams and players can negotiate trades and free agency movement. Alums get more benefits and current players get less wear and tear in practice during training camp as padded practices go from 28 to 16, with a five day acclimation period.
- BCCI Suspends IPL 2020 for Coronavirus
- Canadian PM Justin Trudeau's wife has corona virus!
- Sen. Chuck Schumer pushes Senate to pass coronavirus relief bill
- National Basketball Association suspends season after Utah Jazz player tests positive for COVID-19
- Dow falls 8.7 percent as U.S. stocks face another rout
- Viking Cruises temporarily halts all voyages amid coronavirus pandemic
- Google asks all North American employees to work from home
- China and South Korea 'significantly' reducing COVID-19 cases
- Schools across CT close as state allows for shorter school year
- Ivy League Cancels Spring Sports