France has placed restrictions on the movement of its citizens and the White House has advised Americans to avoid gatherings of more than 10 people as the world takes drastic measures to slow the spread of coronavirus.
He ordered people to stay at home from Tuesday lunchtime.
"People can use our methods to understand the immune responses in larger COVID-19 cohorts, and also understand what's lacking in those who have fatal outcomes", said Katherine Kedzierska, professor of microbiology and immunology at the University of Melbourne, which took part in the research.
France joins Italy, which has been completely locked since Friday, and Spain, whose 47 million people have been partially locked since Saturday, is only allowed to leave its home to go to work and buy food. or visit a pharmacy or hospital.
In a speech given on Monday night, Macron acknowledged that his request is "unprecedented", in times of peace, but is justified by the emergency of the circumstances.
"We are in a health war", he said, highlighting the severity of the situation. He also indicated that rents and utility bills could be suspended for small and medium-sized companies in distress.
As of Tuesday morning, over 6,000 had tested positive for the virus in France and the death toll was at 148.
"The less travel, the more we can contain the virus", European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said during a press conference, following a video conference between G7 leaders.
She said travel restrictions into Europe should be put in place for an initial period of 30 days.
This weekend, French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe said the country would shut most shops, restaurants, and entertainment facilities as the country grapples with the coronavirus.
Anyone caught violating the new measures will be punished, he said.
The Deputy Transport Minister of France has said that the high-speed intercity trains will be reduced under lockdown. Four days ago there were 15,113 cases of infection while now the number has increased to 27,980.
Merkel added that public health strategies in the EU should guarantee goods flow freely and ensure that Europeans can continue making cross-border commutes for work.
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- Coronavirus outbreak: 'This is not a provincial shutdown', Ford says
- Coronavirus Forces the Closure of All BVUSD Schools Beginning Monday, March 16th
- Israel's president to tap Netanyahu rival Gantz to form government -statement
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- A second patient in Lee County has died from COVID-19
- Donald Trump Defends "Chinese-Virus" Comment, Says "Very Accurate"
- First coronavirus vaccine trials begin in humans
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Canada restricts travel and requires airlines to ban symptomatic passengers