Following the incident, the police arrested six persons who were involved in the crime. With no one else in sight, they beat her friend and repeatedly raped the woman.
The four remaining adults were found guilty and sentenced to death the following month in a fast-track court.
On the other hand, Pawan Gupta and Akshay Singh did not express to give anything.
The prime accused, Ram Singh, allegedly committed suicide by hanging himself in the Tihar Jail days after the trial began. However, raising doubts about the character of a gang rape and murder victim is utterly shameful. The ICJ has also denounced executions and asked India to abolish the death penalty.
But even Nundy, who supports the death penalty in the Nirbhaya case, is skeptical of capital punishment as a blanket retribution for sexual crimes.
"There is no legal remedy pending in any court and the mercy petitions have been rejected by the president, so there is no impediment to the hangings", said public prosecutor Irfan Ahmed, al-Jazeera reported.
She has filed a divorce petition saying she did not wish to live with the label of "a rapist's widow".
The mother of the victim speaks to the media as she leaves a court in New Delhi, on January 7, 2020. However, the court refused to consider it as a reason to stay death warrants.
Jan 31: SC quashes Pawan Gupta's plea that sought review of the rejection of Gupta's juvenility claim.
Yakub was convicted in the 1993 serial blasts case and was ordered to be hanged. It also stated that, "it is contrary to the object and objective of Article 6 [which concerns the right to life] for States parties to take steps to increase de facto the rate and extent in which they resort to the death penalty".
"The condemned convict Pawan can not be permitted to frustrate the course of law by simply opting to remain indolent".
- Akshay got one punishment, Mukesh got three, Pawan got eight and Vinay has got 11 for breaking prison rules. Among them, the juvenile, who was booked under the Juvenile Justice Act, was tried separately. The executions were carried out after the convicts exhausted every possible legal avenue to escape the gallows. The entire jail was on lockdown since last night, and officials said, few other prisoners in Asia's largest prison facility could sleep a wink ahead of the first execution since 2015.
The Tihar jail authorities have fixed Rs 20,000 as the sum to be paid to Pawan per hanging.
Before this, the only time when four people were hanged was in Pune in October 1983, for the murder of 10 people in the mid-1970s in the infamous Joshi-Abhyankar murder case.
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- BC declares public health emergency with 83 new confirmed COVID-19 cases
- Kevin Durant Tests Positive for Coronavirus
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Ibuprofen May Worsen Coronavirus Symptoms, WHO Warns
- Sony will detail the PlayStation 5 tomorrow
- Joe Biden pledges to choose a woman as his running mate
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- France to 'strongly reduce' movement to slow spread of virus
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War