The Country Music Association said: "Country music has lost the great Kenny Rogers, who has forever left a mark on country music's history".
Though he has been most successful with country audiences, Rogers charted more than 120 hit singles across various music genres and was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2013.
The song inspired five TV movies from 1980-1994 with Rogers serving as the gambler, who for the sake of the show was named Brady Hawkes.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the family is planning to have a small private service at this time with a public memorial at a later date.
Editor's note: Country and western music enjoys great popularity in parts of the English-speaking Caribbean.
In 1982, Kenny found success on the big screen playing a race vehicle driver in Six Pack, also scoring another country/pop hit with the film's theme song, "Love Will Turn You Around".
He was known for a string of hits including The Gambler, Lucille and Islands In The Stream. "I was having the time of my life, and I came off the stage and the guys in the band said, 'What were you talking about when you went off on this thing about the zoo".
"I love my friends and I appreciate them so much, but I woke up to so many texts warning me about the news of Kenny Rogers death and I couldn't figure out why". "I know you're as sad as I am", she said to her followers.
He recorded lots of songs that topped the chart, some of which were, "Lady", "Lucillie" "She believes in me" among many others. "His family and friends are in our thoughts during this hard time", the Country Music Association said in a statement. If the country audience doesn't buy it, they'll kick it out. The sprightly but melancholic song is about a paralysed army veteran, said to have fought in a "crazy Asian war" (presumably the Vietnam war), looking helplessly from his bed at his wife getting dolled up to leave the house and spend the evening outside.
Rogers was arguably the biggest entertainer of the 1970s with a slew of crossover hits from the late 1960s to far into the 80s.
Rogers, who got married five times, is now married to Wanda Miller.
- COVID-19 brings Windsor auto plants to a halt
- Sony will detail the PlayStation 5 tomorrow
- 56 percent of California expect to get coronavirus — Newsom
- Amazon Stops Storing Non-Essential Items In Its Warehouses
- America-Canada border checkpoints closed down over COVID-19
- BC declares public health emergency with 83 new confirmed COVID-19 cases
- United Kingdom to pay firms not to sack workers over coronavirus
- Prime Minister tells pubs, clubs, restaurants and leisure centres to shut
- Drastic measures to fight COVID-19 continue as case count approaches 1,000
- After Coronavirus Briefings, Sens. Richard Burr, Kelly Loeffler Dumped Stocks