More than 300,000 cases of COVID-19 have been reported from nearly every country and region in the world, the chief of the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Monday, noting "the pandemic is accelerating".
The WHO chief recalled that the coronavirus hits most older people. Experts have attributed the outbreak to a novel coronavirus that has since spread across China and overseas with confirmed cases around 250,000 globally.
Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg announced the move on his social media platform and said that they have worked together with the World Health Organization to get "authoritative information" about coronavirus sent directly to one's WhatsApp account.
"Wuhan provides hope for the rest of the world that even the most severe situation can be turned around".
Much of Europe and the United States have followed China and other Asian countries and introduced drastic restrictions to fight the new coronavirus, with most workers told to work from home and schools, bars, pubs and restaurants being closed.
"This virus could put you in the hospital for weeks or even kill you", he said. "We are proud to have partners like Facebook and WhatsApp, that are supporting us in reaching billions of people with important health information", Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General of WHO said.
The veiled warning from WHO comes following reports that young people in many countries are being complacent about health warnings, because of the greater susceptibility to the virus among older patients.
Tedros said that even if younger people are not falling very sick, their choices about where they go can make a big difference in someone's life and death.
The WHO itself has also began "solidarity trials" - which means a range of countries coming together to test four different drug combinations. You should definitely access these helpline numbers and seek the verified information about the Covid-19.
Ryan said that public health measures will have to be taken to prevent this disease from recurring.
- Canada coronavirus death toll jumps nearly 50% in less than a day
- 56 percent of California expect to get coronavirus — Newsom
- International Olympic Committee expected to make decision on Tokyo 2020 Olympics within four weeks
- New York Orders All Workers at Non-Essential Businesses to Stay Home
- World Health Organization strongly warns youth against COVID-19
- Coronavirus Task Force: Existing malaria medication could be used for virus treatment
- US, Mexico working on reassessing cross-border travel to curb coronavirus
- United Kingdom to pay firms not to sack workers over coronavirus
- Water Board calls for public not to flush wipes or paper towels
- Drastic measures to fight COVID-19 continue as case count approaches 1,000