"While this was a hard decision, we trust that Ontario's business leaders will be able to promote safety while carrying out business and protecting jobs", said Premier Doug Ford. The closure is expected to be in effect for 14 days with the possibility of extending this order as the situation evolves, stated the province.
"This was a very tough decision but it is the right decision", the premier said.
Businesses that support IT infrastructure service providers, power generation, natural gas distribution and clean drinking water will also stay open. "Go home and stay home".
Lecce issued an open letter Sunday night saying the government is looking at ways to keep course work going if the COVID-19 pandemic prevents classes from resuming on April 6 as planned.
Dry cleaners were exempted because they provide an important service to front-line workers who have to wear uniforms, and many provide laundry services, said Ivana Yelich, a spokeswoman for Ford. He said those who are not doing their part are putting at risk everyone else, including the eventual recovery of the economy and the well-being of millions of Canadians.
Ford announced in his press conference on Monday, March 23 that education will not be able to resume as normal for quite some time.
The sale, made to help pay down Bombardier's US$9.3 billion in debt, once again shrank a company that a year ago boasted three major divisions - commercial aircraft, trains and business jets.
"The minister has been clear, our government will take immediate action to ensure the safety of students and staff, and is preparing for all scenarios", Alexandra Adamo said in a statement.
Ontario has also enhanced its COVID-19 self-assessment tool, making it interactive and allowing the province to gather data from it.
"It's absolutely critical that the people listen to the orders", Ford said. "We've seen health-care systems overwhelmed and we've seen heartache and loss and we've seen countries lose this battle".
- COVID-19: New Zealand to move to lockdown in 48 hours
- Coronavirus updates: Global death toll tops 13000
- Australia to close all pubs, restaurants, place of worship
- Coronavirus impact: PM Modi announces 21-day lockdown across India
- Can Chloroquine Prevent or Cure COVID-19?
- 'STRONGEST POSSIBLE MESSAGE': State of emergency declared in Toronto
- Lewis Hamilton self-isolating but showing no coronavirus symptoms
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- Top smartphones for gaming
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester