There will be a total ban on venturing out of your homes.
Guidelines issued by the ministry said all government offices, the offices of state and union territory governments, autonomous institutions, public corporations, commercial, private, industrial establishments shall remain closed.
Rupam Bhattacharya, a member of the Cov-Ind-19 study group of researchers at the University of MI that's looking specifically into the coronavirus outbreak in India, said: "This pandemic is growing quick, and the only way we can cope with it is by keeping up with its pace by bringing rapid and strict precautionary measures into action".
With the figure has dropped in only a week the entire amount of COVID-19 cases surpassed 400,000 globally on Tuesday. "It is my plea to you, that while you are staying at home, you must think about and pray for the wellbeing of people who are fulfilling their duties, who are exposing themselves to great risk", he exhorted. He added that "many families will be destroyed forever" if the country doesn't get a grip on the outbreak, CNN reports.
Almost 500 coronavirus cases have been reported in India so far, according to Health Ministry data on Tuesday.
The nation's capital Delhi, usually crawling with automobile traffic on any given day, remained eerily silent, with residents restricted to their homes amid the coronavirus scare. "Social distancing is for every citizen, for every family, for every member of the family", he said. He requested "the business world and high-income segments of society to as much as possible, look after the economic interests of all the people who provide them services".
Police check documents of commuters during a lockdown in Prayagraj, India. Many states had ordered lockdowns.
"According to health experts, a minimum of 21 days is most crucial to break the cycle of infection", Modi said.
Any negligence in these 21 days will "push the country and the citizens by 21years", he said underlining the massive danger the coronavirus poses.
"For the next few days, forget about going out. Looking at the experience of these countries, and what the experts say, the only successful way to tackle the spread of the virus is social distancing".
To a question on the harassment of doctors, nurses and other staff handling coronavirus patients, the Prime Minister said he felt pain.
The government has taken several stringent measures leading up to the announcement of a complete lockdown.
- COVID-19: New Zealand to move to lockdown in 48 hours
- Facebook and Disney Reduce Video Quality Across Europe
- U.K. Prime Minister Issues 'Stay-at-Home' Order to Limit Coronavirus Spread
- Australian Team 'Could Not be Assembled' for Tokyo Olympics
- Coronavirus impact: PM Modi announces 21-day lockdown across India
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Tokyo Olympics Will Be Postponed Because Of Coronavirus Concerns
- Coronavirus: Tokyo Olympics postponed until 2021 over pandemic
- 'STRONGEST POSSIBLE MESSAGE': State of emergency declared in Toronto