The National Hurricane Center (NHC) issued an advisory on Tuesday about a storm system that has the potential of becoming subtropical off the east coast of Florida.
The National Hurricane Center sent its Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft into a disturbance churning just south of the Florida Keys and the north end of the Bahamas on Saturday morning.
While 97 per cent of tropical systems develop between June 1st and Nov 30th, sometimes you can have early pre-season storms that develop based on weather conditions.
Later in the weekend and early next week, the system is expected to move generally northeastward over the western Atlantic.
The US National Hurricane Centre (NHC) said a weather system north of the Bahamas may develop into the first storm of the Atlantic Hurricane Season by this weekend.
The start of the 2020 hurricane season in Florida is still weeks away, but the Atlantic is already heating up.
This system will bring a continuation of gusty easterly winds to South Florida later this week, along with increased chances for showers and storms Friday.
Kottlowski also warned that four to six named tropical systems could make direct impacts on the US mainland, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.
According to the National Hurricane Center, the probability of development is now 80 per cent. The chance for formation through the next five days is about 50 percent. If it becomes a storm, it will be named Arthur.
The Atlantic Hurricane Season officially begins June 1st, and runs through November 30th.
The possible development of this early season storm comes ahead of what looks to be a busy hurricane season.
La Niña is the opposite of El Niño, which is the warm phase of the cycle. On average, we will get 12 named storms with six of them being hurricanes.
The Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook is calling for an above normal volume of hurricanes and major hurricanes for the 2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season.
- Twitter to continue work-from-home policy after pandemic
- Covid-19 furlough scheme extension is 'sensible way forward'
- 'Unforgivable': Attack On Afghan Hospital Kills At Least 16, Including Newborns
- China’s Foreign Ministry: Stable bilateral relations in best interests of China, US
- Anthony Fauci Warns of 'Suffering and Death' if US Reopens Too Soon
- Trump calls Fauci's advice on reopening schools "unacceptable"
- Here's what to know about New Jersey's reopening plan
- Almost 1,000 Africa health workers contracted virus
- India caught in US-China spat over Taiwan's status at WHO
- Dr. Fauci testifies before Senate committee for first time since pandemic began