COVID-19 crisis: Italy to lift travel restrictions from June 3

Monday, 18 May, 2020

Italy's cinemas will get back to business from June 15, the government announced Saturday as it outlined an overall easing of lockdown protocols in what was the initial epicenter of the European continent's coronavirus outbreak.

The leaders of Britain and Italy have warned that the world can not wait for a coronavirus vaccine.

Italy was the first European country to be seriously affected by the coronavirus crisis while Serie A was the first league to play matches without spectators and the first major league to suspend play. Italy is all set to join other countries in the region which have made a decision to reopen cinemas.

On Saturday, Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte announced a further loosening of movement restrictions.

"We are confronting a calculated risk, understanding the curve can grow again", Conte said in a press conference to detail steps taken by Rome to resume most economical activities and raise limitations on people's moves.

"It is a risk, but a calculated one that we must accept, otherwise we'd have to remain in lockdown until a vaccine is developed and we can not afford to do that".

The prime minister said Italy's businesses could not afford to wait until a vaccine was found, otherwise the country "would end up with a strongly damaged economic and social structure".

Italy's lockdown has been one of the strictest in the world. Coronavirus has infected 4.6 million people and killed over 312,000 worldwide, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University of government reports, which experts say clearly undercounts the true toll of the pandemic.

"Finally, we are also working with the Ministry for Education, for Equal Opportunities and Families to reopen sporting facilities, so we can guarantee a summer of sport for the youngest members of our society", Spadafora said last week. But the challenges of reopening the door to in-person worship are steeper in states with ongoing public health restrictions.

The hotel's last guests - determined honeymooners from Argentina - checked out around March 11, two days after Italy started its national lockdown, including border closures.

In total, China has reported 4,633 deaths among 82,933 cases since the virus was first detected late previous year in the central city of Wuhan.