Just on Friday, India's tally had surpassed that of China, where the outbreak first emerged.
Worldwide, more than 44 lakh people have been affected by the novel coronavirus with the USA reporting almost a third of the cases - by far the highest.
Including the deaths of 74 other patients-attributed to causes other than COVID-19 by states/UTs-the death toll reaches 2,871.
Montreal's numbers continue to rise with 305 new cases confirmed Sunday, bringing the metropolis's total to 21,715.
A third of the infections are from the western state of Maharashtra, with Mumbai the worst hit, followed by Tamil Nadu, Gujarat and Delhi.
"India is still in the growth phase, since total cases are still rising".
Goa reported total cases to 15 while seven people have been cured.
As testing increases, some states are recording spikes in cases and number of deaths.
J&K reported 108 new cases, taking its tally to 1,121 (including 12 deaths). One person died in Jaipur, which was the 64th death in the city and 126th of the state. The state attributed the big jump in figures to book-keeping and said only 22 of the 67 deaths occurred in the 24-hour period, while the remaining 45 had occurred between April 14 and May 14.
Under the new guidelines, bus and passenger vehicles would be allowed to travel within and between states outside of containment zones but this would be decided by the state governments.
Meanwhile, Union finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman addressed the media for the second day in a row on Thursday on the Centre's mega economic stimulus package.
The Home Ministry launched an online portal to track the movement of migrant workers-the National Migrant Information System (NMIS). Some 30,152 people have recovered in India so far.
- Mary-Kate Olsen in Divorce Battle With Olivier Sarkozy
- Most active Western Conference teams this offseason
- Trump calls Fauci's advice on reopening schools "unacceptable"
- CDC warns doctors about childhood inflammatory syndrome linked to Covid-19
- Europe sees two deaths, multiple cases of COVID-linked syndrome in children
- India's total COVID-19 cases surpass 80000 mark, deaths rise to 2649
- Trump Extends U.S Sanctions On Huawei For Another Year
- Ron DeSantis’ Florida Gators plan is trolling opponents
- Cuomo: We're Opening Beaches for Memorial Day
- Here's what to know about New Jersey's reopening plan