The governor of the U.S. state of NY has been publicly tested for the coronavirus in an effort to encourage more people to undergo the procedure.
Dr. Elizabeth Dufort administers a COVID-19 test on Gov. Andrew Cuomo during his briefing Sunday.
Of the three remaining regions, Long Island has ticked five of the seven boxes, the Mid-Hudson region four, and New York City just three. Phase one allows for the return of residential and commercial construction, and for curbside and in-store retail pickups.
Hospitals will be able to schedule elective surgeries as the region enters the first phase of reopening on Tuesday, but gatherings such as church services and sports events will still be banned, Cuomo said.
Five regions in upstate NY are now in the first phase of reopening, after Cuomo said this week that they met safety criteria that include declines in the number of hospitalizations and deaths from COVID-19.
"You're going to see an increase in the numbers, but you don't want to see a spike", Cuomo.
Two women, neither of whom were wearing protective face coverings, sunbathe on a grassy slope at Brooklyn Bridge Park during the current coronavirus outbreak, Sunday, May 17, 2020, in NY.
But some of the state's testing facilities have been underutilized, Cuomo said. "The Senate needs to act fast to pass it too", he tweeted during his coronavirus press conference.
Cuomo used the demonstration to pivot to encouraging all symptomatic New Yorkers to get tested for coronavirus, before announcing that testing capacity throughout the state has increased to about 40,000 each day.
Cuomo also announced horse racing tracks across New York State can open on June 1 without fans. The governor said Saturday he is considering other economic activities that can reopen without crowds.
At the end of the press briefing, Cuomo said he has been tested before and said he will have the results of this latest test tomorrow and said, "If I'm not here tomorrow, that means I tested positive, otherwise I'll see you tomorrow". "When you look at the risk-reward, there's a lot of reward with minimal risk".
- COVID-19 crisis: Italy to lift travel restrictions from June 3
- Huawei says ‘pernicious’ United States chip restrictions threaten global economy
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- India surpasses China in coronavirus cases
- Coronavirus May Never Go Away, Says World Health Organisation
- France reports first death from rare disease linked to coronavirus
- Snowbirds' public affairs officer killed in BC crash
- Epic Games Store: The Witcher 3, more games rumored to be free
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- Moderna Covid-19 vaccine generates immune response, early data show