"There have been casualties".
The state Minister for Disaster Management Enamur Rahman told media on Thursday that the cyclone also caused death of at least 10 people across the country.
"I haven't seen a disaster of this magnitude". With the governor and the chief minister, an aerial survey was done. In Bangladesh, at least 12 people lost their lives, private broadcaster Somoy TV reported.
Reuters Television footage shot in West Bengal showed upturned boats on the shore, people wading through knee-deep water and buses crashed into each other.
More than 100,000 houses were destroyed and almost 125,000 hectors of crops land was damaged, according to a primary assessment by the country's disaster management and relief ministry. The department said it expects the cyclone to progressively weaken as it continues to travel northeast over Bangladesh and warned of ongoing thunderstorms. "For the time being, we would request people to stay indoors", Kolkata Mayor and state minister Firhad Hakim said.
"We are facing greater damage and devastation than the CoVID-19", Ms Banerjee said.
Cyclone Amphan leading to strong winds with speed up to 125 kmph per hour upturned cars in West Bengal and also left trees, electricity poles were torn off and blocking roads.
More than 2.6 million people from both countries fled to shelters in a frantic evacuation made all the more challenging by the pandemic.
The prime minister undertook an aerial survey of the vast swamp that many districts have turned into, after the cyclone dumped copious rain on Wednesday and the accompanying winds flattened homes, bludgeoned massive trees to the ground like matchsticks, and plunged city after city into darkness.
"I would request Prime Minister Narendra Modi to come and visit Cyclone Amphan-affected areas", Banerjee said.
Officials said that thousands of people have been left homeless in North and South 24 Parganas and East Midnapore districts due to the cyclone that wreaked havoc last night.
Meanwhile, 22 Opposition parties issued a joint resolution calling on the Centre to declare the cyclone a national calamity, PTI reported.
- 50 days left to get absentee ballot for July 14 runoff
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- HK society voices support for national security legislation for HKSAR
- IPhone 12 Display Specs Leaked by Analyst
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Utah man claims he made Michael Jordan pizza night before ‘flu game’
- Daily CO2 Emissions Plunge During Global Lockdowns
- More than 138000 Mainers have filed for unemployment since March
- HBO Max will release Zack Snyder’s cut of ‘Justice League’
- Trump vows not to close U.S. over second wave of COVID-19