Cuomo's announcement affects the New York Knicks, Islanders, Mets, Rangers, Yankees, New York City FC, the New York Liberty, and the Brooklyn Nets, as well as the Buffalo Bills. The decision comes as the National Basketball Association and NHL ponder a return to action, which would potentially mean a return by the New York Knicks, Brooklyn Nets, New York Rangers, and New York Islanders for training.
"In my head, I was always looking to get under 100", Cuomo said, speaking from the governor's mansion in Albany.
"It doesn't do any good for those 84 families that are feeling the pain".
The official death count was 23,195 on Friday.
Cuomo did encourage sports teams to begin spring training and said veterinarian practices could begin opening on Tuesday. And he noted that the state's curve was going down even as many places in the country were rising in deaths. The US continues to reel under the impact of the pandemic, with 1,622,990 cases, including 96,046 deaths.
Also on Saturday, Cuomo announced that an eighth region - the Mid-Hudson - can enter Phase I or re-opening, when manufacturing and construction can resume.
Mr Cuomo called it a bittersweet benchmark that shows how far New Yorkers have come.
He gave no projection for New York City, which is the final area of the state without an indicated opening date.
Cuomo has been urging professional leagues, most of which have their headquarters in his state, to explore ways to start playing again, Spector adds.
There have been almost 195,000 COVID-19 cases in the five boroughs. On Saturday, the governor said he was following orders from the Trump administration when he put over 4,500 senior coronavirus patients in nursing homes.
Late Friday, Cuomo signed an order allowing people to assemble in groups of as many as 10 as long as they stay at least 6 feet from other people and wear masks.
"As we move forward with reopening, we have to keep one eye on the future and start talking about building back better, not just building to what we had before", Cuomo said.
- Reuters/Ipsos poll: A quarter of Americans are hesitant about a coronavirus vaccine
- U.S. urges WHO to start review of pandemic response, seeks reforms
- Brazil surpasses Russian Federation in confirmed virus cases
- Governor Whitmer reopens some businesses in part of northern MI
- Dominic Cummings 'broke lockdown rules' with 264-mile trip to Durham
- Biden: If you can't choose me over Trump, 'you ain't black'
- US discussed conducting its first nuclear test in decades
- IPhone 12 Display Specs Leaked by Analyst
- Trump vows not to close U.S. over second wave of COVID-19
- Ontario schools not reopening this spring, Ford confirms