Plans to reopen primary schools for grades one to three this Monday were shelved, and athletic events have been canceled.
Parts of Beijing are back on a "wartime" footing after a cluster of locally transmitted coronavirus cases emerged, almost 8 weeks after the Chinese capital appeared to have stamped out the herpes virus.
Two close contacts tested negative in nucleic acid and antibody testing after the case was reported in Xicheng District on Thursday, including the student from the school. The city's swift response reflected China's emphasis on moving quickly to stem the spread of new cases wherever they appear, a lesson learned from fighting the outbreak earlier.
One person at an agricultural market in the city's northwestern Haidian district also tested positive for the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 without showing symptoms, Chu said.
On Saturday morning, community volunteers in various Beijing districts knocked on residents' doors to ask if they had recently visited Xinfadi market. After the local infections were announced, Beijing supermarkets including Carrefour reportedly removed their salmon products overnight.
A new cluster of Covid-19 cases has been discovered in Beijing, with infections being linked to a local food market.
"People were prevented from leaving their homes at 11 residential estates in south Beijing's Fengtai district after most of the cases were linked to a nearby meat market", NDTV has quoted city officials as saying.
Caixin has learned that the Xinfadi market had been continuing to operate throughout the last couple of months since the new coronavirus disease first emerged at the Wuhan Huanan Seafood Market in the capital city of the central Hubei province. Of those, all 40 positive samples came from the Xinfadi market.
"We can not rule out subsequent cases in the future". "That doesn't mean absolutely no new cases", he wrote on Weibo, China's answer to Twitter, late Friday after reports began emerging of new cases in Beijing. No infections had been found in the capital for more than 50 days through Wednesday, except for those among arrivals from overseas. Official are now rushing to test over 10,000 of its employees.
- Here's What the PS5 Looks Like
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- World Health Organization backtracks on asymptomatic coronavirus spread, says much is still unknown
- USA crude stockpiles surge to record high on big Saudi imports
- Anthony Joshua, Tyson Fury 'agree deal' for all-British mega-bouts
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- Federer out for remainder of 2020 after injury setback
- Military bases honoring Confederate officers: No way!
- What we know (and don't know) about asymptomatic spread
- Top smartphones for gaming