Another person was also found injured. Other reports were of minor damage such as broken windows and collapsed walls. Videos posted online from the affected area showed the ocean water receding from the shoreline.
People screamed in terror and some shouted out warnings to run from electricity poles that looked poised to fall, local resident Miguel Candelaria said.
Near the epicenter, Magdalena Castellanos Fermin was in the village of Santiago Astata when the quake struck, sending large rocks tumbling down from the hillside and alarming residents.
Workers remove rubble and place security tape alerting of a damaged building after a quake in Oaxaca, Mexico, on June 23, 2020.
The natural disaster was also felt in Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador.
"All those that are in an area with COVID patients remain inside, only those of us who weren't there at the time" have come out, said Jaime Gomez, a nurse at a hospital caring for coronavirus patients.
The entity recommended authorities to keep the population away from beaches and also prevent sea navigation due to strong currents.
Mexico's bishops pledged to help the people affected by an quake in southern Oaxaca state that left at least five dead. It was centered 7.5 miles (11 kilometers) southwest of Santa María Zapotitlán in Oaxaca state. The U.S. Geological Survey's readings put it at 7.4. Smaller waves were expected through Central America, Peru and Ecuador.
Earlier estimates place the magnitude of the quake at 7.7, but that has been revised down to 7.4 (and supplemental revisions are doable).
Quakes of magnitudes over 7 are major earthquakes capable of widespread, heavy damage.
In the last 35 years, there have been at least seven magnitude 7 or greater earthquakes, killing around 10,000 people a lot of them in a 1985 quake of 8.0 magniude.
Mexico is located above various fault lines.
- NASCAR drivers, crews demonstrate extraordinary show of support for racer Bubba Wallace
- Boris Johnson briefs on easing coronavirus restrictions in England
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- Trump asks what the '19' in COVID-19 stands for
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- 5.4-magnitude quake hits S. Mexico
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer "Delighted" With Scott McTominay Contract Extension
- Apple Silicon ARM Mac transition: Everything you need to know