Pakistan's Karachi Stock Exchange was attacked by four gunmen on Monday morning killing at least 10 people. The KSE 100 index, which dropped after news of the attack, gained 0.1% at 11:40 a.m.in Karachi.
He revealed that the terrorists had planned to hold the building and its employees hostage as it was determined by the things they were carrying with themselves. The four were killed when security forces posted there responded.
In a statement, he said Pakistan is determined to root out terrorism from its soil and terrorists will never succeed in their nefarious designs.
The militants, who arrived in a vehicle, opened indiscriminate fire and lobbed hand grenades at the main gate of the multi-storey building situated in the city's high security commercial hub as they tried to storm it.
Politicians strongly condemned the attack on Pakistan Stock Exchange (PSX) that took place on Monday in Karachi in which four security guards and one police officer embraced martyrdom.
"They made their way from our parking area and opened fire on everyone".
However, the situation has largely stabilised in recent years following operations by security agencies against armed political outfits and Islamist militants.
Speaking from inside the building, broker Yaqub Memon said he and others are huddled inside their offices.
Weapons and hand grenades have been recovered from the attackers, Dawn has reported. Security forces are also examining the suspected vehicle which was parked outside the PSX building. The bomb disposal squad has been called and is trying to clear the building of explosive devices, police spokesperson Shazia Jehan said.
There were no other details and no militant group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack. In November 2018, the group claimed responsibility for a raid on the Chinese consulate in Karachi that killed four people.
The Arabian Sea port of Gwadar is located in Balochistan and is part of China's multi-billion-dollar one-road project linking south and Central Asia to China.
- Cam Newton signs one-year deal with Patriots
- The rise and fall of German Tech Darling, Wirecard
- Democrats slam Trump as White House downplays spike in virus cases
- Top smartphones for gaming
- Number Of New Daily Coronavirus Cases Nears 46000 Setting Another Record
- Vince Carter confirms he is retiring from the National Basketball Association
- China silent over its casualties suffered in Galwan valley during talks
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- House of Representatives votes to make Washington DC a state
- US House approves bill to make DC 51st state