"We have also held meetings with our Native American Working Group which will collaborate with us on cultural issues, education and community outreach to amplify their voices and show our fans they are still proudly here", the statement said.
They have been known as the Cleveland Indians since 1915.
When the league announced the end of "Chief Wahoo" in January 2018, there were no plans to consider changing the team's name.
Dan Snyder, the owner of the Washington NFL team, said in 2013 that he would "never" change the team name, despite long-standing objections to it from some Native Americans. Redskins merchandise has been pulled from major retailers such as Walmart and Dick's Sporting Goods as the team considers a change, USA Today reports.
President Donald Trump on Monday weighed in on the Washington Redskins football team and Cleveland Indians baseball team considering changing their names - names Native Americans have long complained are racially offensive. On Friday, the team released a statement saying it was committed to determine a "best path forward with regard to our team name". "It's a very hard subject".
The Indians were a charter member of the American League in 1901 and originally named the Blues, according to the Encyclopedia of Cleveland History from Case Western Reserve University in the city. The team removed the much-debated Chief Wahoo logo from their in-game shirts and caps previous year, and will now consider changing a nickname that has been in effect since 1915.
Francona acknowledged her own past mistakes at trial. We've talked about this for years by ourselves. "It's also delicate", he said.
"I think it was agonizing for him to leave home", Francona said.
Francona said his coaching staff will "divvy up" Mills' duties, but many of them will fall to assistant Mike Barnett.
"We know from the literature that oppression, covert and overt racism, and perceived racism can have serious negative consequences for the mental health of American Indian and Alaska native people". I think it was a hard decision for him.
- WhatsApp Stops Processing Requests for User Data From Hong Kong Authorities
- Lionel Messi halts Barcelona contract talks past 2021
- TikTok distances from Beijing in response to India app ban By Reuters
- Twitch Streamer Byron 'Reckful' Bernstein Dies at 31
- When Saroj Khan talked about her family in Pakistan
- Canada's biggest banks join boycott of Facebook platforms
- No prayer meet for Saroj Khan due to COVID-19: Family
- 81 killed in Ethiopia protests over singer's death
- Jeffrey Epstein Confidante Ghislaine Maxwell Arrested in Connection With Sexual Abuse Investigation
- India promises to launch COVID-19 vaccine by August 2020