Some areas in South Texas had already reported receiving up to 9 inches (23 centimeters) of rain, including Cameron County, which borders Mexico and where Brownsville is located. "These rains will result in life-threatening flash flooding", and some river flooding, meteorologists said earlier.
"The combination of a risky storm surge and the tide will cause normally dry areas near the coast to be flooded by rising waters moving inland from the shoreline, " the Miami-based Hurricane Center said.
"Any hurricane is an enormous challenge", Governor Greg Abbott said in a news conference Saturday (local time).
The hurricane came as the number of coronavirus infections continues to surge across Texas, which has reported more than 389,000 cases and almost 5,000 deaths.
Hanna, the first hurricane of the Atlantic season, arrived as southeast communities were wrestling with how to plan for natural disasters on top of a public health emergency that makes emergency responses like mass evacuations and crowded shelters untenable.
"We cannot allow this hurricane to lead to a more catastrophically deadly event by stoking additional spread of COVID-19 that could lead to fatalities", he said.
Hanna is now a Category One hurricane, the lowest level on the five-step Saffir-Simpson scale.
A flash flood watch remains in effect for the entire Rio Grande Valley until this evening.
"Isolated tornadoes are possible through this evening across parts of south Texas".
"A gradual weakening is expected over the next 28 hours, but Douglas should remain a hurricane as it moves through the islands, "said the US Meteorological Institute". Should Douglas do so, it will be only the third in modern history after Hurricane Dot in 1959 and Hurricane Iniki in 1992.
Hanna was forecast to move inland over south Texas on Saturday night, and into north-eastern Mexico on Sunday. The storm slipped north of the island of Oahu, home to most of Hawaii's military bases.
Aerial video footage has revealed extensive damage and flooding from the storm in some areas.
Observation reports throughout the island by the Hawaii County Police and Fire Departments report that all roads are open and no heavy rains, strong winds, nor damaging surf conditions have occurred.
- Man United under more pressure to qualify for Champions League, says Rodgers
- Mick Fleetwood Remembers Late Bandmate Peter Green in Heartfelt Tribute
- Expected Cost of Oxford COVID-19 Vaccine in India
- Regis Philbin Passes Away At 88
- Payroll tax cut won't be included in fourth coronavirus bill, Mnuchin says
- Smartwatch maker Garmin hit by outages after ransomware attack
- Harry and Meghan sue over 'drone photos' of son Archie
- Disney removes Mulan from schedule and pushes back Avatar & Star Wars
- Police declare riot in Portland after protesters pull down courthouse fence
- England in control of decider