In total, three people were arrested Thursday night in relation to the violent protests.
The outcome of the hard-fought contest for the presidency remains undecided, stirring worries that prolonged uncertainty could yet spark conflict.
Videos on social media showing activists and police in a heated confrontation in New York City.
As the city cleaned up on Thursday, Oregon Gov. Kate Brown drew a line between a peaceful gathering by marchers aligned with the Black Lives Matter movement and "self-styled anarchist protesters" who damaged buildings, including a church that feeds the homeless.
Protestors shouted "Whose streets?" Large banners, including one reading "Trump lies all the time", were unfurled.
The incident came the night after the Police Commissioner Dan Ryan was the deciding vote in the Portland City Council to turn down a proposal to cut the budget of the police force by $18 million, local broadcaster OPB reported.
Hundreds of protesters demonstrated Wednesday in Seattle and Portland, Ore., against President Trump's court challenges to stop the vote count in battleground states. "They are dressed in military style garb, which is their uniform", the Sheriff's office said.
Governor Kate Brown had put the National Guard on standby, since Portland has seen nearly nightly protests since the death of George Floyd under a Minneapolis police officer's knee in May.
"I will continue to do everything in my power to keep the peace in Portland and make sure that people can make their voices heard safely", Brown said.
Any "political violence, intimidation and property destruction will not be tolerated", the Democratic governor warned. Police also made an additional arrest after protesters were blocking city streets. No one was injured.
The head of an global observer mission to the USA elections accused Donald Trump on Thursday of a "gross abuse of office" after the president alleged he was being cheated and demanded that vote counting be halted. "I don't have a lot of patience with him because he is such a baby and I don't see how so many people in this country see him as a leader".
- WhatsApp disappearing messages make their way to iOS
- U.S. election 2020 results: Senate majority leader, McConnell reveals what must happen
- Bank of England to buy £150B more bonds as new lockdown starts
- U.S. election: Democrat hopes of winning Senate fade
- Can Atleti snatch La Liga's title away from Barca?
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Klitschko faces must-win bout against Fury
- French mink farms under 'surveillance' after Covid outbreak
- B.C. adds record-breaking 425 new COVID-19 cases
- A Different Kind of Milestone in Paris for Nadal: 1000th ATP Win