On Monday, the Toronto Board of Health unanimously approved a motion calling on the Ontario Government to publicly release the advice provided to the Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. David Williams and the Ontario Cabinet by the provincial COVID-19 advisory tables, including the Public Health Measures Table.
The following public health units will be moving to the "red" category, Elliott announced: Toronto; Hamilton; Halton Region, located northwest of Toronto; Peel Region, which is west of Toronto; and York Region, which is north of Toronto.
More than 44,800 tests were completed in the previous 24 hours, but there are still 39,767 cases that remain under investigation.
There were 502 COVID-19 patients in Ontario hospitals as of Saturday, including 107 in intensive care units and 66 on ventilators.
She pointed out that Ontario and Quebec and other provinces continued to have the highest numbers of people in hospital.
Ten more people have died, bringing the death toll to 3,371.
The last time Ontario's daily case count was below 1,000 was on November 5 when 998 cases were recorded.
With Ontario and Quebec's daily reports today, Canada's country-wide virus case count jumped over 294,300.
The Nunavut government said nine of those new cases were reported in Arviat, on the western shore of Hudson Bay, and one was in Rankin Inlet and was linked to Arviat. Luther Village on the Park Sunshine Centre retirement community has two residents who have tested positive for COVID-19 and one staff member.
The advice to stay home as much as possible and avoid contact with everyone outside your household, while not enforceable, is a strong recommendation that all people in Toronto should follow in an attempt to gain control over the spread of COVID-19.
Using her power under the Health Protection and Promotion Act, de Villa suspended indoor dining in the city and banned indoor fitness classes until mid-December.
The new data comes after three straight record-breaking days.
- In a first, SpaceX rocket carrying 4 astronauts launches into space
- Now, Moderna Says Its Vaccine Is 94.5% Effective in Preventing COVID-19
- United and City looking to create El Classico in Manchester
- British serial killer dies from COVID-19
- RCEP free trade deal signed among 15 participating countries
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- First M1 Apple Silicon Mac Arrives at Customer
- 'The Mandalorian' finds new allies, and some surprising backstory
- NYC releases map of positive COVID cases by ZIP code
- Trump Supporters Descend on D.C. For Events Contesting Election Results