For the first time Friday Mr. Trudeau firmly ruled out a second national lockdown, calling it a "blunt" tool that is less useful than the targeted shutdowns in hotspots and said he has no plans to bring down the "federal hammer" and set national rules on inter-provincial travel. "And overall, we're heading in the wrong direction". Many of those areas are found around the GTA, especially in Toronto, Peel, and York Region.
Ontario is reporting 1,210 new cases of COVID-19 today, and 28 new deaths due to the virus.
"To protect what matters most we have to get the community spread under control", he said.
Ontarians learned when schools were closed this past spring during the lockdown how important it is to keep them open, said Etches at a press conference Tuesday in response to a question on the issue.
Unmasked people in close proximity to others such as in sports settings or carpooling are also at risk, he said.
The silver lining here is that stores can still stay open for delivery and curbside pickup - services which may become more popular than ever this season as communities rally together in support of local businesses.
Public Health Ontario announced 77 new cases of COVID-19 in the capital as part of its daily epidemiology update.
"We can not afford a province-wide lockdown, so we are taking preventative action today by moving Toronto and Peel into Lockdown level restrictions and other regions into higher levels of restrictions", he said on Friday afternoon.
Ontario reported 1,418 new COVID-19 cases and eight deaths on Friday.
"We have some hard but necessary decisions to make", Ford said.
Similar to what the province saw at the beginning of the pandemic, indoor organized public events or social gatherings will not be allowed under lockdown, except with members of the same household, and outdoor gatherings are limited to a maximum of 10 people.
In long-term care homes, 619 residents now have COVID-19 and 15 new deaths have been reported Thursday.
Ford had said earlier this week that new restrictions were needed to help preserve hospital capacity and protect residents of long-term care homes.
- Graham facing ethics complaint over Georgia ballots question
- Was a Small Owl Found in the 2020 Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree?
- Charge, please: Apple will pay $113M to settle 34-state ‘batterygate’ lawsuit
- APEC launches Post-2020 Vision for future cooperation in Asia-Pacific
- Pfizer ends COVID-19 vaccine trial with 95% success rate
- Oxford COVID-19 Vaccine Shows 'Encouraging' Immune Response Among Older People
- Santa Barbara County Assigned to Purple Widespread COVID-19 Tier
- Tsitsipas Beats Rublev To Set Up Decider With Nadal — ATP Finals
- Barack Obama praises his 'badass' wife and kids in new interview
- Euro heroes Scotland's unbeaten run ended in Slovakia