Wells is reportedly survived by her stepsister, Weslee Wells.
She went on to star in the movie The New Interns and was later cast in television series such as The Joey Bishop Show, 77 Sunset Strip, The Cheyenne Show, Maverick, and Bonanza.
The series ran for three seasons from 1964 to 1967, and made a major splash in pop culture.
The character and the actor had the hard task of being a grounding force on a show known for flights of foolishness (Gilligan), greed (Thurston Howell III) and ego (Ginger), but Wells pulled it off with aplomb. But, thanks to syndicated reruns, nostalgia, and a theme song that, once heard, will stick with you forever, the sitcom became a favorite with generations of fans.
With Wells' death, 86-year-old Tina Louise, who played Ginger, is the last surviving cast member of the show.
Tina Louise who was also the part of Gilligan's Island, shared, "I will always remember her kindness to me".
".The core of Mary Ann is really me". "Condolences to the family of Dawn Wells".
Wells found fame as pigtailed castaway Mary Ann on Gilligan's Island. She was much more than that.
Aside from those projects, Wells starred in a handful of films in the 1970s, including The Town That Dreaded Sundown and Return to Boggy Town. Her most recent credits include an episode of The Bold and the attractive in 2016 and a voiceover role on The Epic Tales of Captain Underpants in 2019.
Wells added in the post that she was grateful to her supportive fans and that her outlook remained positive.
"I know I will have a new appreciation in a simple gathering of college friends at a coffee shop a few months from now", she wrote in a comment underneath her video.
She told The New York Times that certain doors were closed to her, one of them being a staging of the Eve Ensler play "The Vagina Monologues".
Wells also lent her voice to the animated Gilligan's Planet (1982) in which the castaways become stranded on a faraway planet. However, "I am not dead broke", she said. "I can get a job and go to work".
- Hilaria Baldwin denies faking Spanish heritage
- Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine should be effective against new variant
- 744 more people have tested positive for Covid-19
- Liverpool vs. West Bromwich Albion - Football Match Report
- Federal Unemployment Programs Expired December 26
- Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine approved in UK
- Klopp laments cagey Baggies as Allardyce purrs
- Messi to miss Barcelona clash with Eibar
- NY health network faces criminal investigation over COVID-19 vaccine
- Spain will keep a register of those who refuse the coronavirus vaccine