The Minnesota Dept. of Labor and Industry says the new hourly minimum has been adjusted for inflation and will be $10.08 for large employers and $8.21 an hour for other state minimum wages. The retailer did not pay 78,199 workers the minimum wage, according to the list, owing them more than £5 million ($6.8 million).
Last February before the pandemic hit, estimated 206-thousand jobs outside Minneapolis and Saint Paul paid the minimum wage or less - eight-and-a-half percent of the total.
"We worked hard to get that because it's nearly impossible to get a minimum-wage increase", Lehto said. The CPI-U increased by 1.31% (unadjusted) over the year ending August 2020.
The minimum hourly wage in NY state will increase 70 cents to $12.50 an hour.
NY city, however, has a $15-per-hour minimum wage, and certain suburban areas are higher than the $12.50, as well.
The government said underpayments by employers often reflected deductions for the cost of food, parking costs, clothing or equipment which took wages below the legal minimum.
"This should serve as a wake-up call to named employers and a reminder to everyone of the importance of paying workers what they are legally entitled to".
Also, there is a new, free, "Your Rights as a Worker" poster that businesses in Washington are required to display in their workplace.
Public service journalism is important today as ever. "Businesses should be aware that the state will enforce the highest available rate".
For the 20 states that will raise their minimum wages, the effects ultimately should be more positive than negative, the EPI's Zipperer said. A Public Agenda/USA Today/Ipsos survey released in September showed increases in public support for a federal minimum wage hike.
For a full-time worker at a large company earning minimum wage, annual earnings are about equal to the federal poverty threshold for a three-person household.
"It is important to stress that there was never any intent to underpay our employees", a spokesperson for Pizza Hut Restaurants said.
- Carlyle Lake Christmas Tree Recycling Project
- United Kingdom approves AstraZeneca's Covid-19 vaccine for emergency use
- EU officials sign post-Brexit trade deal with UK
- Emergency U.S. Authorization For AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccine Likely In April
- Awaiting India’s approval for COVISHIELD: SII
- Stay-At-Home extended- hospitals in crisis care mode
- USA congressman-elect Luke Letlow dies of COVID-19
- Pence Sued by GOP Congressman in Fight Over Competing Electors
- European Union mobilises emergency assistance for earthquake-hit Croatia
- Despite Fawad, Rizwan’s heroics, New Zealand win first Pakistan Test