German firm BioNTech warned Tuesday there is no data backing the "safety and efficacy" of delaying the second shot of its Covid-19 vaccine beyond three weeks, as some countries push back the jab to give more people their first dose.
It is supposed that half of the dose will be provided to people at the age of 18 up to 55.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said on Monday that the idea of changing the authorized dosing or schedules of COVID-19 vaccines was premature and not supported by the available data.
As millions of people await their turn to get a COVID-19 vaccine that could be months away, scammers online, in e-mails and on messaging apps are luring victims with claims they can deliver shots within days for as little as $150.
As of now, Moderna's vaccine requires two injections, but this could change.
Moderna referred a request for comment to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), which did not respond.
The coronavirus's resurgence - aided by a faster spreading strain - underscores the urgency to vaccinate more people as hospitals become stretched beyond their limits.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo made the threat hours before announcing the discovery of the state's first known case of a new, more contagious variant of the virus.
In December 2020, China approved its first COVID-19 vaccine.
The agency noted that during the clinical trial researchers only followed participants who failed to receive their scheduled doses "for a short period of time, such that we can not conclude anything definitive about the depth or duration of protection after a single dose of vaccine from the single dose percentages reported by the companies".
AstraZeneca Plc is conducting further studies on the vaccine it co-developed with University of Oxford after initial results show a half dose followed by a full dose has induced a higher protection rate than if a full dose was used in the first shot. That vaccine is easier to store and transport.
Russian Federation has been providing its COVID-19 vaccine, called Sputnik V, since August. However Australia's total death toll from COVID-19 is 908.
They also highlighted that the percentage of people in the moderate to severe stages 3 to 5 have increased to 11% from 7%.
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's COVID data tracker, as of 9 a.m. Saturday, 13 million doses of vaccines have been distributed, but only 4.2 million people have received them.
- Phase 3 clinical trial data confirms efficacy of Moderna COVID-19 vaccine
- India approves 1st coronavirus vaccines for emergency use
- India approves vaccines as nations fight virus resurgence
- Bulgaria reports 4 cases of side effects from Pfizer/BioNTech coronavirus vaccine
- BCCI President Sourav Ganguly suffers heart attack
- Veteran US Talk show host Larry King hospitalized with COVID-19
- Hospital worker deliberately destroys 500 doses of Moderna Covid vaccine, Report
- Teaching Union Calls On Government To Keep Schools Closed
- Iran starts 20% uranium enrichment, seizes oil tanker in Strait of Hormuz
- Australia vs India | Indian squad negative in COVID-19 tests