As of this Thursday, all global passenger flights must land at one of four airports - Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary or Montreal. Canada has been the lastest, announcing as any passenger arriving at the country will have to quarantine in designated hotels while waiting for their negative tests results.
Firstly, the government has suspended all flights to and from Mexico and Caribbean countries until at least April 30, 2021.
If the test is negative, travelers will then be able to complete their two-week quarantine at their homes "but with increased surveillance measures", he said.
Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the new quarantine and testing program will complement and reinforce measures that provinces such as Ontario had already indicated were underway.
"One single case of the variant spread very quickly.so we're doing everything to prevent the spread of these variants", Trudeau said.
"Yes, it's extremely low, the percentage of cases that go back to global travel, but it's not zero".
All travellers entering the country will now be required to follow several new rules, in addition to providing a negative COVID-19 test prior to boarding a flight.
When asked why other vacation destinations, including Florida, were not among the suspensions, Transportation Minister Omar Alghabra said the government had looked at the most popular spots. "All developed countries have understood this and have implemented a plan to save their airline companies", pointed out union president, Dominic Levasseur.
Rules like this, as well as the ban on cruise ships, makes operating cruise ships to Alaska or New England effectively impossible because USA cabotage laws require foreign-flagged vessels leaving from a US port of call to first call on a "distant foreign port" before returning to the United States.
For Calgary-based WestJet, the cancellation of Caribbean and Mexico routes will mean the removal of 950 flights before the end of April.
The government will also mandate new testing and three-day quarantine periods upon arrival in Canada.
Earlier this week, the United Kingdom announced that residents returning from 30 "red list" countries will go through a mandatory 10-day quarantine at their own expense.
However, Trudeau says new export controls Europe is imposing on COVID-19 vaccines produced there won't affect Canada, and he expects Pfizer and Moderna to catch up on their deliveries before long.
- Serum Institute applies for trials of another COVID-19 vaccine
- Some Trudeau Airport travelers still heading to sunny destinations, despite cancelled flights
- Barack Obama, Michelle Obama mourn death of actress Cicely Tyson
- Motorola demos wireless charging tech that can power devices 100cm away
- Mar-a-Lago Meeting Bodes Well for Trump's Influence
- Johnson & Johnson Vaccine Trials Underway In Texas
- Covid-19: Novavax vaccine shows 89% efficacy in United Kingdom trials
- Review of Plarium's Browser MMO Game Stormfall: Age of War
- Most active Western Conference teams this offseason
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest