Ford will be joined by Christine Elliott, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health, Solicitor General Sylvia Jones, and General Rick Hillier (retired) for the update.
The local death toll from the virus remains at five.
There are over 60 schools in Toronto reporting at least one case of COVID-19, and 34 schools across both Mississauga and Brampton in Peel Region with at least one person infected. Recent Science Table modeling suggests that the United Kingdom variant and other new variants remain a significant threat to controlling the pandemic and could become the dominant strain of the virus in the province by March 2021, posing an increased threat to public health and hospital capacity.
The seven-day average has now reached 1,675, down from yesterday at 1,746, and down from last week at 2,205 - showing a downward trend in new cases. We now have 1,192 COVID-19 patients in the hospital with 341 people in the ICU and 252 in the ICU on a ventilator.
As of February 1, in publicly funded schools in Ontario, there are five new school-related student cases (for a total of 5,146), one new school-related staff case (for a total of 1,098), and one new case in "individuals not identified" (for a total of 1,115); 20 schools have a reported case, and one school is now closed.
Another 44,606 tests are still under investigation and/or being processed.
Speaking on Wednesday afternoon, Education Minister Stephen Lecce said that in-person learning for most of southern Ontario will resume on February 8, while schools in three of the province's biggest COVID-19 hot spots will remain closed for an additional week, opening after the Family Day long weekend. Once sufficient doses are available, vaccinations will resume to provide first doses for staff and essential caregivers in settings with the most vulnerable populations.
99,443 people are 20 to 39 - an increase of 437 cases.
The Ministry of Health says case numbers could still be low because of Toronto Public Health moving its data to the province's reporting system.
Morris also said the Ontario government is using local public health officials as cover for not having any metrics for opening. Data may also be pulled at different times.
The deaths reported today include three people between 40 and 59 years old, and 24 people between the ages of 60 and 79 years old, and 40 people over the age of 80.
The province said that once supply stabilizes, it will expand immunization efforts to once again give vaccines to long-term care staff and essential caregivers.
- Arsenal vs. Manchester United - Football Match Report
- Trump names 2 attorneys to lead impeachment defense
- Djokovic says future of men's tennis in good hands
- Australian Open to allow up to 30,000 fans a day
- Aerobics instructor teaches class as Myanmar coup 'unfolds behind her'
- Canada announces strict quarantine rules for travelers
- Hotel in Mogadishu Attacked by al-Shabaab, At Least 9 Dead
- Province to fast-track COVID-19 testing orders at airports, border crossings
- Kylie Jenner's Face Transformation Over The Years Shocks KUWTK Fans
- Cuomo deflects blame for nursing home deaths