Aung San Suu Kyi 'in good health': Military junta

Tuesday, 16 Feb, 2021

A handout photo released on 10 December 2019 by the International Court of Justice shows Myanmar's State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi attending the start of a three-day hearing on the Rohingya genocide case before the UN International Court of Justice at the Peace Palace of The Hague.

What is the new charge?

Her lawyer said on Tuesday police had filed a second charge of violating a Natural Disaster Management Law.

It also allows the interception of electronic and other communications without a warrant and permits the detention of detainees for more than 24 hours without court permission.

The military has not given a date for a new election but ithas imposed a state of emergency for one year.

Meanwhile, vehicles appeared in protest hotspots in the commercial capital of Yangon, Myitkyina and Sittwe - the first large-scale rollout of military vehicles since the 1 February coup.

The deployment of armoured vehicles in several cities and increasing use of violence was of serious concern, the spokeswoman added. Those calling for the end of the military government have proven defiant in the face of the crackdown, one protester dressed as Batman showed little regard for the military vehicles.

Foreign ambassadors in Myanmar urged the country's military regime not to use violence against anti-coup protesters after reports of troops deploying in parts of the country.

On Monday morning in Yangon's Sule Pagoda, which has been the epicenter of demonstrations against the coup, the police deployed a dozen trucks with four of them containing water cannons. Police also fired rubber bullets at protesters in the country's second-biggest city, Mandalay, leaving six injured.

Numerous country's locomotive drivers have joined the anti-coup work boycotts and have frustrated junta efforts to restart the national railway network after a Covid-19 shutdown. Despite the draconian measures, demonstrations have continued to grow in number.

The global community has unleashed a torrent of condemnation against the leaders of Myanmar's new army administration, which insists it took power lawfully.

Groups of demonstrators turned out in Yangon and other cities on Tuesday to protest the coup and demand that Suu Kyi and members of her ousted government be freed from detention.

The self-styled Committee Representing the Pyidaungsu Hluttaw has 15 members who met online and said they have enough support to convene Parliament.

The army took power alleging fraud in a November 8 general election in which Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy party had won a landslide.

Her lawyer Khin Maung Zaw said he had been unable to contact his client, though officials from her National League for Democracy (NLD) party have previously said she is in good health.

Brigadier General Zaw Min Tun on Tuesday held the junta's first press conference since it seized power in a coup on February 1.

As well as Aung San Suu Kyi and Win Myint, soldiers detained chief ministers and ministers and temporarily confined newly elected MPs to their living quarters in Naypyitaw.

What is the latest with the protests?

United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called on Myanmar's military and police to make sure the right to peaceful assembly was respected and demonstrators were not subjected to reprisals.

The shutdown comes after a day of protesters taking to the streets in defiance of heavy troop presence around Yangon - although turnout was smaller than in recent days.

The junta insists it took power lawfully and has instructed journalists in the country not to refer to it as a government that took power in a coup.

"Unity around the world is very important to not accept this coup", said Christine Schraner Burgener.