Jacob Robbins-Kanter, a PhD candidate studying Canadian politics at Queen's University, said he doesn't expect the province will chart a path to balance in the budget since a third wave of COVID-19 is underway. The last time Ontario's COVID-19 positivity rate was that high was on January 26 when it reached 5.9 per cent.
The province also reported 10 additional fatalities today, raising the province's virus-related death toll to 7,263.
Ontario health officials are reporting 89 new cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa.
Hospitalizations due to COVID-19 are steadily increasing in Ontario. Of those, 333 are in intensive care, and 210 require a ventilator to breathe.
Quebec has recorded 783 new cases of COVID-19, the provincial government announced Wednesday.
Sources tell 680NEWS that the government is not ready to take its foot off the pedal because Ontario remains in the middle of the Covid-19 crisis.
Health Minister Christine Elliott says more vaccine supply will be sent to primary care physicians in the future, though she did not provide specifics.
In the Outaouais region, 64 new cases were reported in the last day.
In addition, eight new deaths were reported, none of which occurred over the previous 24 hours.
While the province has discovered thousands of variant mutations, only 1,486 have undergone genome testing in order to be officially categorized.
A total of 1,603,699 vaccine doses have been given in the province.
The seven-day rolling average now stands at 1,676.
The province is expanding its COVID-19 immunization campaign to include residents aged 75 and older as of Monday.
In other developments, restaurant workers will be getting inoculated as part of Phase Two of the vaccine rollout.
- Ship blocks Suez Canal after 'gust of wind' knocks it off course
- AstraZeneca may have used outdated info in vaccine trial
- United States attacks on China at dialogue 'not the way to treat guests'
- U.S. and China trade angry words at high-level Alaska talks
- Colorado shooting: US President Joe Biden calls for gun control
- Audit finds an estimated 600+ additional Kentuckians have died from COVID-19
- Atlanta Police hold briefing on spa shooting
- Procession honors fallen officer Eric Talley in Boulder King Soopers shooting
- Police responding to active shooter at Colorado supermarket
- Joe Biden trips twice going up the steps to Air Force One