Health officials in B.C. will give one more COVID-19 update for the week Friday, revealing how many more people tested positive for the disease in the past day.
There were 53,436 tests completed in the last 24 hour period.
The recovery rate remains at 93 per cent.
Down from the almost 60,100 tests completed a day ago.
1,458 lab-confirmed cases of the United Kingdom variant strain of COVID-19 (B.1.1.7).
Another 17 deaths were blamed on COVID-19 Thursday.
Canada's top doctor says COVID-19 activity has been at a concerning level since mid-February.
Of the total 71,269 people recovered, 682 were registered today. This includes 1,357 cases of the B.1.1.7 (UK) variant, 43 cases of the B.1.351 (South Africa) variant, and 110 cases of the P.1 (Brazil) variant.
Ontario Premier Doug Ford says the province will earmark $3.7-million in its 2021 budget to help seniors and people with disabilities get vaccinated.
"To date, 610,671 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca-SII COVID-19 vaccines have been administered in B.C., 87,212 of which are second doses".
Public health officials have declared the beginning of a third wave of the pandemic as case numbers and hospitalizations creep up and more contagious variants of COVID-19 dominate.
As of 6 p.m. on March 24, the province reported 1,755,596 doses of vaccine against COVID-19 have been administered.
In the case of the ministry, patients are removed from the count after two weeks of care in hospital, regardless of whether or not they continue to occupy a bed. Of note, 36 of the newly reported Interior Health cases are historic cases from 2020 identified through a data review.
Professor Philip Nolan, Chair of the NPHET Irish Epidemiological Modelling Advisory Group, said: "We are experiencing a levelling off in the daily incidence rate of Covid-19 and the concern is that we could so easily move backwards and undo the progress that has been hard-earned since the beginning of the year".
There are 419 active, lab-confirmed cases in the region, most of which are in Simcoe County, of those 23 are hospitalized.
As of midnight Wednesday, March 24th, the Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC) has been notified of 606 confirmed cases of Covid-19.
- European trust in AstraZeneca vaccine falls, opinion poll says
- Dutch summon Chinese ambassador after MP sanctioned
- China concludes espionage trial of Michael Spavor behind closed doors
- Why Miami Beach spring break curfew could extend into April
- Joe Biden trips twice going up the steps to Air Force One
- Will run for presidency in 2024 too, says Biden
- Ship blocks Suez Canal after 'gust of wind' knocks it off course
- North Korea fired missiles after United States military exercises with South Korea
- Protesters march against anti-Asian racism in US
- Taiwan clears AstraZeneca vaccines, shots may start next week