When officers arrived, shots were still being fired and police found several victims, officers said.
Additional details about the victims and the suspect were not immediately available from the authorities, as well as what prompted the shooting.
The suspected shooter was in custody and transported to a hospital in unknown condition. The suspect, along with a victim, were transported to the hospital.
By 7 p.m. local time the situation had become stabilized, according to police.
"Our hearts are with the families impacted by this awful tragedy tonight", he wrote.
The office building has several varying businesses, including a mental health counseling service, an insurance agency, legal services firm and a phone fix store. The womens' deaths came amid a spikes of anti-Asian hate crimes and other incidents of harassment, which have been rising in the previous year. The shooting occurred on a stretch of Lincoln Avenue with businesses on one side and a row of large apartment complexes on the other.
He heard at least 10 more gunshots after that, he said. In that incident, a former state employee opened fire with an assault rifle at a state maintenance yard, killing four people before dying in a shootout with the police.
The FBI Los Angeles division confirmed it responded to the shooting, but that the Orange Police Department was leading the investigation. And 10 people were killed on March 22 when a man opened fire at a supermarket in Boulder, Colorado.
- Derek Chauvin Told Witness George Floyd Was "Probably On Something"
- Suspected bomb blast at Indonesia church causes casualties
- A 3rd National Lockdown Seems Likely in France as Hospitals Are Overwhelmed
- Suez Canal: Huge Ever Given container ship is 'partially refloated'
- Leaked WHO report points to animals as source of the pandemic
- Us Pres. Biden: No Federal tax increase to anyone making below $400k
- Video shows Asian American woman assaulted on New York City street
- Women turn their backs on Scott Morrison
- Australia's Queensland warns of more Covid-19 cases, Easter travel plan
- Alberta pausing use of AstraZeneca vaccine in those under 55