Quebec Premier Francois Legault is slated to make an announcement Wednesday afternoon, a day after issuing a warning to five regions where he said residents have been flouting pandemic rules.
Dr. Michael Warner, medical director of critical care at Michael Garron Hospital, accused the Ontario government of losing control of the pandemic in a tweet published Tuesday.
"I anticipate (that) is going to be a discussion that will take some time because we need to take the time to come to the right conclusions", she said.
Since the province began actively searching for COVID-19 variants of concern in Ontario, there have been 21,346 mutations discovered in lab-positive tests.
Warner said the province must focus on implementing public health restrictions as the COVID-19 vaccine rollout continues.
The study also found that 46 per cent of intensive care admissions between March 15 and March 21 were people aged 59 and younger, compared with 30 per cent of admissions between December 14 and December 20. This latest grim assessment comes after weeks of warnings from health officials in Ontario over rising case counts and the rapid spread of variants, primarily the United Kingdom variant, B.1.1.7.
"I had a good conversation, in fact two conversations, with Premier Ford about this this morning".
The province made a decision to bump up its age-based immunization plan for Oxford-AstraZeneca shots after the National Advisory Committee on Immunization opted to pause the use of that vaccine for anyone under 55 due to concerns over rare blood clots. "That's what it comes down to".
It shows that Ottawa has received 172,410 doses of COVID-19 vaccines to date, split up between Pfizer and Moderna, and it shows when those shipments arrived.
The 2,336 new cases reported Tuesday mark an increase over Monday's total when 2,094 were logged. Those doses will be distributed through pharmacies and primary care offices.
A new report from Ontario's science advisory table released Monday showed that COVID-19 variants of concern now account for 67 per cent of all lab-confirmed cases in the province.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 30, 2021.
Sign up to receive daily headline news from the Toronto SUN, a division of Postmedia Network Inc.
A welcome email is on its way.
We encountered an issue signing you up.
- Biden says he plans to run for re-election in 2024
- Leaked WHO report points to animals as source of the pandemic
- Biden keeps returning to Trump as a cause of nation’s troubles
- Just how important is the Suez Canal to global trade?
- Troops fire at funeral as Myanmar mourns bloodiest day since coup
- CDC Director Warns of 'Impending Doom' as Covid Cases Rise Across US
- Ontario reports over 2,000 new COVID-19 cases for fourth straight day
- Australia's Queensland warns of more Covid-19 cases, Easter travel plan
- Suez Canal ship 'now moving,' owner and officials say
- Covid-19 'very likely' first jumped into humans from animals