"Cars 3" was only Disney's last hit movie to dominate the box office this year. The final new entry was Jurassic World director Colin Trevorrow's The Book Of Henry; the limited release drummed up just $1.4 million for the weekend. As of Sunday morning, it appears some have fared better than others.
"Cars 3" blew by "Wonder Woman" to take the top spot at the weekend box office.
The third chapter in the Cars movies beat 3-weekend champion Wonder Woman, but it still premiered to lower than expected numbers.
The animated sequel made its debut with sales of $53.5 million in the USA and Canada, researcher ComScore Inc. estimated Sunday in an email. It is doing better in the rating department then it predecessor, as "Cars 2" has a 39% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, while "Cars 3" now has a 66% rating. While we can hopefully agree the trailers sold this movie as being a welcome addition to the pixar family, does it actually hold up?
The ensemble voice cast of Cars 3 includes Owen Wilson, Cristela Alonzo, Armie Hammer, Nathan Fillion, Kerry Washington and Lea DeLaria. On Friday, Wonder Woman soared past the $500 million mark globally. Only one in four critics had praise for the movie, in which Demetrius Shipp Jr. plays rapper Shakur.
The Princess of Themyscira has been dethroned by fast "Cars" at the U.S. Box-Office.
Rounding out the top five were The Mummy, and Mandy Moore and Claire Holt's new film 47 Meters Down, grossing $13.9 million and $11 million, respectively. Sony can't be happy with the performance of the R comedy "Rough Night", which only took in $8 million on over 3,000 screens. Lucia Aniello directed the film. It stars Scarlett Johansson, Zoë Kravitz, Kate McKinnon, Jillian Bell and Ilana Glazer, and follows a bachelorette party that goes wrong after a male stripper dies.
- Petersburg's Frank Mason III picked by Sacramento Kings in NBA Draft
- SpaceX set to launch, land recycled rocket
- Thousands attend slain Muslim teen's funeral in Virginia
- SL Green Realty Corporation (SLG) Stake Lowered by Lazard Asset Management LLC
- Portugal weighs resting Ronaldo for New Zealand game
- Spanish state prosecutor accuses Jose Mourinho of tax fraud
- Qatar goes ahead with $12bn USA fighter jet deal despite Trump's criticism
- Vargas earns 11th win as Royals top Blue Jays 3-2
- Pres. Trump Congratulates Republicans for Special Election Wins
- Nintendo Apologizes for Shortages of Switch Hardware