A teacher was praised as a hero on Friday after taking quick action to subdue a student shooter in his classroom.
People who knew Seaman, a former defensive end for Southern Illinois University, said his bravery came as no surprise. The girl was not named, and police said she was in critical condition at an Indianapolis hospital.
A teacher and a student were wounded Friday morning, when another student opened fire inside a middle school near Indianapolis. He tore his ACL playing basketball in his junior year, but after several surgeries he was back on the football field in August, his brother said.
Bryant Orem, a spokesman for the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office, says the suspect is believed to have acted alone and was taken into custody.
"It's not surprising, to be honest", Jason Seaman said of his brother's heroics. "He always said that he was willing to sacrifice himself before he was willing to let anything happen to his students". It shows how dedicated he is to the students he teaches on a daily basis. As CNN reports, there are conflicting reports about how many people were injured in the shooting.
A police guard at the school responded to the shooting, and other law enforcement officers arrived within minutes, police said in a statement.
Jacob Long, an eighth-grader, said students throughout the school were crying in their classrooms while teachers took off their belts to tether doors.
"We need to get it right", Barnes said.
Two days before the Texas shooting, a student opened fire on a school resource officer at Dixon High School in IL, just outside an auditorium where graduation practice was being held.
"Approximately 100 state police officers have been made available to work with local responders and will offer all assistance needed".
Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb, flying back from Europe, said in a statement that he was monitoring the situation. She's an 8th grader and one of the 1,400 terrified students in the middle school.
Ella Whistler was identified as the second victim of at Noblesville West Middle School Friday morning.
Noblesville is in a suburb about 25 miles northeast of Indianapolis.
- Census: Franklin Among Nation's Fastest-Growing Large Cities
- Best ways to make your website stand out from the rest
- Meghan Markle has already changed the way we think about race
- Serena Williams to be unseeded at French Open
- Ireland overwhelmingly votes to repeal abortion ban
- Top smartphones for gaming
- China’s License to Participate in 2018 RIMPAC Revoked by the Pentagon
- Irish Voters Set To Liberalize Abortion Laws In Landslide, Exit Poll Signals
- Talent Not an Issue for England's New Manager
- Hawaii's Kilauea Volcano Threatens Crucial Israeli-Owned Power Plant